• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how soon can I file

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



i live in illinois and i am six months pregnant by a man who refuses to support me and my unborn child. for this reason, i can say with 100% certainty that he will not voluntarily support this child after he is born. is there any way that I can begin the process so that when this child is born i will not have to wait for an extended period of time for him to take care of his responsibilities. p.s. he has not doubted the child'd paternity.


Senior Member
paternity will have to be established before he is "responsible" for anything. a court will not establish a support order for a child that is not born yet.

best bet - take care of yourself and keep detailed records of any money that you spend associated with the cost of having the child. (if you are on state aid - they will go after the father after the child is born for any medical costs that they can get out of him). when the baby is born got to the court to establish paternity and a support order. (again, if you are on state aid, they will help you will this. it is a requirements to keep your assistance).

until then, there isn't a lot that you can do.


wait til baby is born, and get a test done. Don't try to push anything now it will only complicate things later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential