• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to avoid penalty for 401k payout

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hef_a_roni

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Hi,

I ended my employment with with my previous employer and they cashed out my 401k. The amount is only around $700. I still have the check in hand as I have been afraid to cash it as I know there are penalties for early withdrawl.
I didn't tell them to cash out my 401k they just did it. I recieved the check 1/12/09 so this will affect my taxes for 2009 (filed in 2010) but to avoid hurting myself financially in the future I am wondering where, legally of course, I can put this money to avoid penalties. I would prefer not to stick it in my current employers 401k as I have stopped contributing due to the economy down turn and HUGE loss of money in that account. I really can't afford to continue to throw away money:p
Can I by any chance put it in a CD or an account similar to that?

Thanks so much for you help,

Heather

TinkerBelleLuvr

You need to run, dash, move quickly to get that check into an IRA, like YESTERDAY. You had 60 days to move it before it became taxable income.

It needs to go into an IRA at this point to avoid the penalties, but depending on the date, you may have gone past the 60 days.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since you had only $700 they could legally cash it out, particularly if they had sent you options for moving it and received no instructions from you.

Beth3

Employers may make forced distributions of terminated employees' 401(k) funds if the total vested dollar amount is under a certain level. ($5,000 last time I checked but it may have changed.)

Go to your bank immediately, open an IRA, and rollover the funds if you want to avoid taxes and an early withdrawal penalty. Hopefully, it's not too late.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">