• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to bargain with prosecutor??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?
Arizona
I have been offered a plea bargain for disorderly conduct.
The offer is 12 months unsupervised probation and court administrative costs plus 40 hours community service and anger management classes.
No jail or fine.
I want to ask if I can have the dissordley conduct reduced to something NON CRIMINAL to avoid loosing my job??
Any suggestions appreciated

Thank you

LdiJ

Arizona
The offer is 12 months unsupervised probation and court administrative costs plus 40 hours community service and anger management classes.
No jail or fine.
I want to ask if I can have the dissordley conduct reduced to something NON CRIMINAL to avoid loosing my job??

Thank you
Your criminal defense attorney is the one to ask about that.

quincy

Arizona
No jail or fine.

Thank you
Here is a link to the disorderly conduct law in Arizona:
https://www.azleg.gov/ars/13/02904.htm

It could be possible to get the disorderly conduct charge reduced or even dismissed but, if it is really important to you that you do not have a misdemeanor on your record (and it should be), you will want to hire a criminal defense attorney. You could borrow money from family or friends.

A prosecutor must show “intent” which can make this charge a difficult one to prosecute should the case go to trial.

Thank you for responding. As for borrowing money I have been the one giving. My mother's medicine is 300 a month insurance doesn't cover so I do. What is a possibility to suggest to the prosecution of pleading guilty to in lieu of disorderly conduct??

quincy

Thank you for responding. As for borrowing money I have been the one giving. My mother's medicine is 300 a month insurance doesn't cover so I do. What is a possibility to suggest to the prosecution of pleading guilty to in lieu of disorderly conduct??
I can not recommend that you try to bargain with the prosecutor on your own - or plead guilty to any charge without consultation with an attorney in your area first.

You might try to locate a defense attorney who will offer you a payment plan. I am aware that the unplanned for expense of an attorney can stretch anyone’s budget.

I'm only asking if defendants charged with disorderly conduct have successfully bargained for a lesser charge and if so what was it? I will take it from there

quincy

I'm only asking if defendants charged with disorderly conduct have successfully bargained for a lesser charge and if so what was it? I will take it from there
Yes. It happens. Some of those charged with disorderly conduct have had their charges reduced or dismissed, based on the specific facts that led to the charges being filed against them. Specifics matter.

quincy

The case is very weak.
No profanity
No threats of physical harm

A business agreement breached caused incident.
Okay. You should consult with an attorney in your area to see if the attorney believes the charge can be reduced or dismissed.

If there is a victim, the prosecutor will consider the victim’s complaint, among many other factors.

Initial consultations with criminal defense attorneys are often free. I recommend you speak to a criminal defense attorney before speaking to the prosecutor or agreeing to any plea bargain offered.

Good luck.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Let's put it another way.

Is it possible? Yes, it is possible. There is no law against it happening - therefore it conceivably could happen.
Is it guaranteed? Not by a long shot.
Is is likely? Not if you try it on your own. It is NOT likely that the charges will be reduced if you try to negotiate with the prosecutor directly. The odds go up if you have an attorney do the negotiating for you. How much they go up depends on too many variable factors for us to guess.

adjusterjack

Unfortunately, what seems to be lesser Offenses Against Public Order are all misdemeanors except 13-2927 Unlawful Feeding of Wildlife which is only a Petty Offense. I don't think that one will help much.

https://www.azleg.gov/arsDetail/?title=13

The case is very weak.
No profanity
No threats of physical harm

A business agreement breached caused incident.
Then you have a defense that there was no intent. The incident was sudden and unforeseen.

I agree with the others that you need an attorney to present this defense to the prosecutor and ask for a dismissal. You can't bluff, though. You have to be willing to go to trial if the prosecutor says no and you'll need an attorney for that too.

You're treading on very thin ice if you try to go it alone

UPDATE:
I wanted to thank all of you and share the outcome.

I started speaking with the prosecutor by phone. After several careful conversations I was successful in negotiating a reasonable offer.
1) Deferred judgement
2) 12 month unsupervised probation
3) $62 court costs
4) 40 hours community service
No jail
No fine
No Anger Management
Upon completion of probation case is dismissed without any conviction on my record

quincy

UPDATE:
I wanted to thank all of you and share the outcome.

I started speaking with the prosecutor by phone. After several careful conversations I was successful in negotiating a reasonable offer.
1) Deferred judgement
2) 12 month unsupervised probation
3) $62 court costs
4) 40 hours community service
No jail
No fine
No Anger Management
Upon completion of probation case is dismissed without any conviction on my record
The sentence sounds reasonable. You will need to meet all terms of your probation without committing another offense, so be careful.

Thank you for the update, Disorder50. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">