• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to change jurisdiction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eksalok

What is the name of your state? FL

How do I go about having the jurisdiction of my CA divorce/custody agreement changed to FL? My ex-wife and children have lived in FL since 2000 and I have been a resident since 2003.
Thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

eksalok said:
What is the name of your state? FL

How do I go about having the jurisdiction of my CA divorce/custody agreement changed to FL? My ex-wife and children have lived in FL since 2000 and I have been a resident since 2003.
Thanks!

My response:

Easy as 1, 2, 3. Get California form FL-560. Fill it out. File it with the California court, pay the filing and transfer fees, and have a copy of the form personally served on your ex-spouse. If no one contests the hearing, your request for a transfer order will be granted, and then you take the new order to the Family Law courthouse clerk, nearest to where you live. The file will then be requested by the Florida court, and transferred to it.

If this is not accomplished within 30 days from the date of the order, the file remains with California.

IAAL

eksalok

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Easy as 1, 2, 3. Get California form FL-560. Fill it out. File it with the California court, pay the filing and transfer fees, and have a copy of the form personally served on your ex-spouse. If no one contests the hearing, your request for a transfer order will be granted, and then you take the new order to the Family Law courthouse clerk, nearest to where you live. The file will then be requested by the Florida court, and transferred to it.

If this is not accomplished within 30 days from the date of the order, the file remains with California.

IAAL

Thanks so much! :)

eksalok

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

You're welcome so much!

Now, the only question is - - will you do this correctly?

IAAL
Good question.

I have located the form and have just a few more questions.

As I mentioned we all reside in FL, however, we are in different counties. Does it then make a difference as to where I request that the court transfer the case? Or am I correct in assuming that it would be best to request it be transfered to the county that she and the children reside in?

If it makes a difference (and as if it weren't apparent) my intent is to attempt to have the custody agreement amended.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

eksalok said:
Good question.

I have located the form and have just a few more questions.

As I mentioned we all reside in FL, however, we are in different counties. Does it then make a difference as to where I request that the court transfer the case? Or am I correct in assuming that it would be best to request it be transfered to the county that she and the children reside in?

If it makes a difference (and as if it weren't apparent) my intent is to attempt to have the custody agreement amended.

My response:

I assumed all of you lived in the same county. Then, yes, it does make a difference where the transferred file goes to. It must be transferred to the county where the children have resided for at least 6 months. It's that county that has jurisdiction over the children.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">