• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to change visitation order to include third parties

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You are allowed to arrange for child care on your time. If there is a "right of refusal" clause, follow that. Keep in mind that "child care" during your visitation isn't meant to imply that the child can spend 100% of "your" visitation time elsewhere all the time.

LdiJ

You are allowed to arrange for child care on your time. If there is a "right of refusal" clause, follow that. Keep in mind that "child care" during your visitation isn't meant to imply that the child can spend 100% of "your" visitation time elsewhere all the time.
Also, to add, in general, when both parents are involved, a California court is not going to assign any third party visitation rights. They will expect each parent to arrange for extended family visitation on their own time, but again, that is not meant to imply that the child can spend 100% of your visitation time elsewhere all the time.

Zigner

Also, to add, in general, when both parents are involved, a California court is not going to assign any third party visitation rights. They will expect each parent to arrange for extended family visitation on their own time...
Speaking specifically to this OP's situation, I agree. However, in general, California courts can (and do) allow for third party visitation in some situations. (edit)To be clear: The situations that allow for third-party visitation don't apply in the OP's situation (based on the facts given).

...but again, that is not meant to imply that the child can spend 100% of your visitation time elsewhere all the time.
I agree.

LdiJ

Speaking specifically to this OP's situation, I agree. However, in general, California courts can (and do) allow for third party visitation in some situations. (edit)To be clear: The situations that allow for third-party visitation don't apply in the OP's situation (based on the facts given).

I agree.
That is why I qualified my comment to say "when both parents are involved".

Zigner

That is why I qualified my comment to say "when both parents are involved".
Even if they are both involved, what I said is true. In fact, it is more common when they're both involved, since the situation often arises during a divorce situation when neither parent wants to allow the visitation.

I will stop this line at this point because it's going to distract the OP from what's going on with her situation.

Last edited:

Carminaav

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
At the end of the day, if you and the other parent cannot agree on having a third party pick-up the kid(s) at the ordered time due to your work hours you need to file for a modification - either to change the p/u time or to allow a third party to p/u or d/o.

Carminaav

Most definitely, Just that visitation exchanges overlap, every now and then, with my work schedule and I am unable to make it in time for the exchange. She makes if more difficult on my work days and I tell her to just drop the child off at my home with my mother to babysit that i will be home shortly. She says OK at pick up and upon return she refuses and goes on a rant that it’s not a court order what I am asking and my daughter and her go missing. I’ve had police assistance twice to have my daughter returned. I have sole physical and legal, she has the visitations.

Carminaav

Exactly!! I’m at my wits end with this crazy woman. And to think it’s only been 6 weeks of unsupervised visitation because she just got unsupervised visitation after 3 years of SUPERVISED visitation.

Carminaav

At the end of the day, if you and the other parent cannot agree on having a third party pick-up the kid(s) at the ordered time due to your work hours you need to file for a modification - either to change the p/u time or to allow a third party to p/u or d/o.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">