• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to change wrong information on a death certificate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lhuot

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?CA

My father was killed in a car accident a number of years ago in South Carolina while visiting family. I live in California. On his death certificate, his sister (who took care of the ‘paper work’) listed under marital status divorced. My parents were never divorced. I have searched in several different counties with no results of a divorce decree. How would I go about having this corrected? This is just something that has bothered me for years and I’d like to have it fixed.

Thank you for your time

CdwJava

Have you spoken with his sister? Maybe she can correct it.

What about the agency that issued the death certificate? Have they advised how it can be modified?

In the end, if it has not caused any real damage to the estate, it may not be much of an issue.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">