• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How To Correct Rental Property Cost Basis and Depreciation Errors?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alexulb

How To Correct Rental Property Cost Basis and Depreciation Errors?
My 88-year-old mother’s past tax returns contain errors in the cost basis and depreciation of her residential rental property. I asked the IRS Email Tax Law Assistance as to how to correct these errors. They replied that my tax law questions are beyond the scope of their assistance and that I should consult with a private sector tax professional. Below are the facts of the case and my questions.
Case: My parents jointly purchased the 2-flat residential rental property 32 years ago for 30K. They used 50% of the rental property as their personal main home. They allocated 50% of their joint cost basis as the basis for depreciating the rental portion over a 33-year recovery period. When my father died 12 years ago, as the surviving joint tenant, my mother became the sole owner of the property. Based on the common-law state estate tax code, my father’s share of the original cost basis was stepped up to 50% of the 190K FMV at the time of his death. The main question that I have is whether the amount of the father’s stepped-up cost basis should have been added to my mother’s cost basis for depreciation purposes. If so,
Q: How do I correctly report the stepped up cost basis retroactively?
Q: Does the stepped-up cost basis start with the date of my father’s death, and what is the new recovery period?
Q: I understand that we cannot recover the depreciations not taken, but can we amend the tax returns for the past 3 years?
Q: If my mother were to sell her house this year for say 275K, is she entitled to the full 250K capital gain exemption or is the exemption less because 50% of the property is considered “residential rental property.”
I will appreciate any help in this matter. Replies may be e-mailed directly to [email protected]. Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">