• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to do a change of PR

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington State

I initially was PR for my father's will. Due to my Quit Claim Deed, my attorney had me withdraw as PR and file a claim against the estate. My contentious sister and the lawyer she had hired to fight me were appointed to handle the estate. The estate is insolvent without the house in it.

I believe my sister's lawyer has a conflict of interest because he won't get his fees if there are no funds in the estate. Shouldn't a new lawyer be required to deal with estate issues who was not originally hired as opposition?

What is the procedure for the transfer of all my father's paperwork, such as DSHS start date appeals, application of VA burial benefits, and an ongoing lawsuit of my father's, to the new PR? I have had no requests or instructions from them and appeal dates, etc. have been missed!

Thanks for your advice.

She can hire what ever lawyer she wants to settle the estate. What are you worried about and why do you care, unless this "quit claim" is somehow cloudy?


Junior Member
Why do I care?

My title is not "cloudy," it just has to be defended. I CARE because

1)the estate is not being handled properly after all my efforts to do the appeals and apply for its benefits, etc. All my work is tanking because of inaction on the part of the alternate PR. The new PR is missing appeal hearings, etc.

2)the attorney 'for the estate' is supposed to be working in the best interest of the estate, which would be to collect burial benefits, secure correct benefit start dates, etc. from DSHS, follow through on a small claims action my father had started, etc. The best interest of the estate cannot be served if the attorney knows he won't get paid unless the house is in the estate -- so he working as the "attorney for the estate" but is really just fighting my deed so that he can collect his fees. He is NOT serving the estate.

3)I have no "probate" lawyer as I am not the PR any longer. I am trying to find out what the protocol is for transfer of the duties.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential