• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to estimate house value

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

outofcontrol

What is the name of your state? TX

I thought you used your tax asessemnt value minus the costs to sell it. When I first went to an attorney my valuation was low then 2 months later new assesment came in at 20k higher which changed the picture. I thought I would be still OK because after selling costs of 6% the equity was still within federal exemptions.

I check with my attorney and he says NO I have to use the tax assesment value.

Am I screwed or do I have an alternative.

The reason I am going federal is to use some of wildcard for a 50% ownership in property overseas. Now I can't even use the selling costs for that, and it would cost more than I have in equity to coordinate a sale overseas even if I could get the other owner to aggree.

Any help would be appreciated. Sue wish my attorney had told me this 3 months ago.

Ladynred

Bigun just answered a similar question in another thread. You don't use the tax value. How much could you reasonably sell it for, right now ?? Read his other post :)

A

a neighbor

Outofcontrol

The way I approached the house is I had a real-estate agent come in and give me the walk-away-value of this house. I pointed out EVERYTHING wrong and that needed fixing. He valued it at 50K less than the tax value. He gave it to me in writing, and I used this for BK. I didn't explain I was considering BK, I just told him I may walk away from the place and give my brother half of the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">