• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to file contempt charges without a Lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?The Court order is in South Carolina. We have court ordered mediated rights for our 11 year old Granddaughter. Her Father (our son) is deceased. He was killed in an accident at work when his daughter was 3 months old. The parents were NOT married. Our son acknowledged Paternity and the child bears his last name.The Mother married an old boyfriend 9 years ago. We were granted temporary emergency custody 41/2 years ago. We had to appear and the Judge ordered the Biological Mother to undergo a hair follicle drug test. This was positive for cocaine,crack and high levels of alcohol. While awaiting these results we had to return the child. The Judge who ordered the tests did NOTHING with the results. He left the child with the drug addicted Mother nor did he order her into treatment. We have been to Court twice have retained an Attorney( 4 1/2 years ago) have had two Mediation sessions. We have been fortunate in the amount of Court ordered visitation that we agreed upon. Our problem now is ongoing. The child has chronic head lice infestation. This began at age 4 and continues now at 11. We have personally diagnosed and treated her 13 times during the 7 years. We have never reported this to DSS on advice of our Attorney and for fear of Foster placement for our granddaughter. The past three monthly visits we have spent two days of our precious time treating her for severe lice. We have physician documentation. Two weeks ago the Mother and Step Father were arguing violently over money. 911 was called and she left with her two girls. The younger being our granddaughter. They are currently living in a Hotel where the Mother works. We mediated a percentage of death benefits to be paid into a College Savings account with penalties for non compliance. We have court ordered papers allowing us to go directly to Court for this one parameter. She has not paid the 20% plus 10% penalty since June 2008. Actually she did pay $600 in September. She owes approx $2500 to end of November. Our Lawyer left her firm in September. We have a balance of $6,000. My Husband fell in September and fractured his heel. He is still non weight bearing. I work full time as an RN. I increased my hours in August. We have paid $1,000 and will continue to get this finished. The remaining Attorney will Not return any phone calls (2) nor respond to e mails,(also 2) since July. Can we file a contempt of Court motion without an Attorney? What forms do we need to submit and how do we obtain them?.


Senior Member
You may not file any papers pro se while you have an attorney of record. Your attorneys (or the firm) need to sub out first.


Junior Member
Attorney Ethics issue????

Thanks for the prompt reply. Okay I understand that while I have an Attorney of record I cannot file papers myself. HOW DO I GET A RESPONSE FROM HER ??? Things are escalating downward with Lauren's Mother at a very rapid clip. We need advice and also file contempt charges for the account which is now$ 2900in arrears. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential