• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to Find An Umbrella Policy Without An Auto Policy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JoDa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? DC

I have been trying for a while now to find a company that will write me an umbrella policy without an underlying auto policy, with no luck. My current solution to that is to have excessive homeowner's coverage on my properties, individually, but, as far as I can see, that's costing me more.

I don't own a car. Haven't for almost 4 years now. When I drive, it's a Zipcar (insurance included) or a standard rental car with the CDW covered by my credit card. I RARELY drive standard rental cars. I just had my "most used year ever" for standard rental cars in the last year, and that amounted to 8 days, for which I paid for supplemental liability (CC covers CDW, but I could still be sued for causing an accident). Basically, I don't need, and honestly don't even qualify for, auto coverage.

Anyone have a suggestion? I have 3 homeowner's policies, excellent credit, no claims, and can prove I had auto coverage with no claims back when I owned a car. It's just slightly infuriating that I can't find a company to write me a general liability policy SIMPLY because I don't OWN a car. Hello! I'm actually LESS of a risk, because I only drive 2-3x per year that you MIGHT be responsible for! Even if the company found themselves somehow liable on a Zipcar rental (where I am insured through my rental fee), I even only do THAT once every 6 weeks or so (less than 10x/year)! How low-risk can you GET on that whole "operating a 2-ton bullet" liability?

ecmst12

You don't seem to understand what an umbrella policy is. However, you can get yourself a non-owners auto insurance policy for very little money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">