• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to find claims/payout information?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GrassMan

What is the name of your state? PA and FL
My grandfather passed away several years ago in Florida. Recently I have heard family rumors that I had been named as a beneficiary on his life insurance policy, and that the person acting as executor claimed my proceeds by forging documents.

I'm skeptical, but figure it's worth looking in to.. but know of no way to verify this-
Would I have heard something from IRS, for example, assuming my SSNo was used somehow?

Is there a 'clearing house' that provides information on life insurance payouts? I have no idea of which insurance company..and it could have been purchased in PA or FL.

thanks

Dandy Don

What year did the death occur?

You need to be visiting/contacting the county courthouse probate court for whatever county the death occurred in and looking at your grandfather's probate file or ordering a copy of every document in the file by mail to see exactly how the estate was handled. There may be clues in there about the name of the insurance company.

If there is no helpful information in the file, you will need to hire a probate attorney or business law attorney and/or private investigator to get to the bottom of exactly what happened. This executor has left a paper trail (of bank records, etc.) so he will be found out, but you need to have some investigating done to figure out if your best option is to file a lawsuit against him or confront him with the evidence and maybe he will be willing to pay what he owes you without going through a legal process. I also wonder if it is possible that he somehow got power of attorney to change the beneficiary designation form at the insurance company, which is illegal and he may also be charged with abuse of power of attorney if your state has laws against such.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

GrassMan

thanks much for the reply-

Death occurred in FL in '03, and as I recall the estate was handled as a 'summary' probate(?), so may not be much there..but will be ordering the file today.

I later found some of your other posts mentioning L-LifeInsurance.com and have contacted them, but am not sure if this will work given that the policy has been paid..or that the beneficiary may have been changed as you mentioned.

(btw, after browsing this and the Wills/Probate forums, I am amazed at the amount of fraud that people seemingly get away with when it comes to relatives estates..)

Last thing to consider is whether the policy was large enough to go to the trouble..but have no idea how much is involved.

thanks again

Dandy Don

Lost Life Insurance is worth considering--doesn't matter if the policy has paid out or not. They send inquiries to over 400 insurance companies in the US and a hit will most likely come up on the decedent's name by the insurance company that has his information in their database.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

GrassMan

just a follow-up:
I contacted Paul at L-Lifeinsurance, and have already received approx 50 replies, all 'no record found' so far, but it's still early. Hoping something turns up, will post again if so.
Paul is very easy to work with, btw, I recommend his services wholeheartedly.

GM

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">