• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to form a business to receive rent on personal property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state? MI

We are renting out a barn on our property and receiving rental income. What type of business should we form for this and since we own the building do we need to lease the building to the business?

FlyingRon

Who is we? One person? A couple? A whole side of the family?

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking with the second part of the question? If you're renting the building now, who's giving you them money and what are you doing with it? Why do you think you need do anything different?

quincy

Softballmom has another thread. These questions should be added there. This thread has been reported.

Last edited:
Let me clarify, my husband and I own the property and the barn. A youth sports organization wants to rent the barn from us for indoor practice during the winter and pay us for the use. We understand that starting a business is the best way to handle but we aren't sure which type of business to start (LLC, sole proprietorship, etc.). We were just going to put the business in my name, not both (I'm not sure that matters but wanted to mention it). Is it necessary for my husband and I to lease the barn to the business?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">