• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to garnish wages in another state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaylynnstlouis

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? MO

A man owes me $1400. I took him to small claims court and won; however he has not paid me. He lives here in MO, but his employer is actually in Indiana. How can I garnish his wages?

seniorjudge

IF (a big word) Indiana allows a certified copy of a judgment from a small claims court in Missouri to be the basis of a lawsuit in Indiana, you need to file a lawsuit in Indiana to enforce a foreign judgment from Missouri. You will need to file that in the county where the guy's employer is.

This is tricky.

If I were in your position, I would hire an Indiana lawyer to do that.

JETX

jaylynnstlouis said:
What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? MO

A man owes me $1400. I took him to small claims court and won; however he has not paid me. He lives here in MO, but his employer is actually in Indiana. How can I garnish his wages?
Actually, it isn't all that hard to do.

However, FIRST.... does this employer have a 'presence' in Missouri?? That means, do they do business there?? If so, you might just try to serve them with a garnishment order from the MO court..... they might just accept it.

However, if they don't, you will have to domesticate your MO judgment into the Indiana legal system. Call a small claims court near the employers office and ask them:
a) Are they a court of record?
b) How much to file a domestication suit from MO?

If they are a court of record, then simply follow the process described at:
http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title34/ar54/ch11.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">