• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to get a title for an abandoned vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HeLpMe111

What is the name of your state? MASS

hi my freind owns a body shop and 1 of his customer had left thier car sitting there for 4-5 years now. the guy left it there to get reapirs and when the job was done he was no where to be found. my freind couldn't get in contact with him what so ever. the reapairs and storage fees has already exceeded the value of the car and i would like to know how he can get the car in his name. i am thinking the car is only worth between $4000 - $5000. THANX for my reading post!

gothicfavors

If i were you or him, i would contact the local DMV with the make, model, color, vin number and original plates ID and explain the situation to them. They should be able to to tell you if you can get a title for it or if you have to take the original owner to court. He may have to file what's known as a Mechanic's Lein if he did work and wait for that to be settled. If he has to take the original owner to court he can tack on court costs to everything else. Hope that helped some.

HeLpMe111

thanx for replying gothicfavors and the info you provided did help. he is actually going to file a mechanics lein.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">