• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to get child support reduced

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Indiana My ex-wife just got a job making more than i do. I was making almost twice as much as i am now. How do i get my child support lowered without paying a fortune? I can't afford an attorney.



File a motion for modification based on a change of income. The court clerk may have the paperwork or you could check with Child Support Enforcement. In Maryland the change of income has to be more than 25%. Check your state stautes to see if there is a percentage required and make sure you specifically state that in your motion.


Just to throw this in there, another thing you may want to think about is the reason you are making less money now. When I went to court a couple of weeks ago, there was a man there who left a 1200 a week job b/c the company told him they were transferring him to canada, and the only job he could find made 9 an hour. The judge told him since he left his job voluntarily, he(the judge)suggested he get a second job, b/c the kids weren't going to be the ones that suffered. Now I am in TN, but I would not be surprised if the judges there think the same way. I am a cp, but I thought it was ridiculous that the guy chose to stay where his kids were instead of moving thousands of miles away, and was told that. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential