• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to get DL in IL with expired passport?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SGB

What is the name of your state? IL

My GC and passport are expired. I applied to renew my expired GC last week and don’t have a biometrics date yet. However my passport also expired and my VA DL is expiring in 2 weeks. How do I get a new DL in IL? They don’t seem to accept expired passport. I made calls and no one is lifting the phone. Even I-551 stamp is made on valid passport. It is said a temporary i-94 can be issued with a photo on it and I-551 stamp on it if passport is expired but they are not giving any InfoPass appointments for people inside US.

Please advise.

Thanks much!

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? IL

I had a conviction that I needed to have vacated and during this process, my GC and passport expired. Finally, my conviction has been vacated.

I applied to renew my expired GC last week and don’t have a biometrics date yet. However my passport also expired and my VA DL is expiring in 2 weeks. How do I get a new DL in IL? They don’t seem to accept expired passport. I made calls and no one is lifting the phone. Even I-551 stamp is made on valid passport. It is said a temporary i-94 can be issued with a photo on it and I-551 stamp on it if passport is expired but they are not giving any InfoPass appointments for people inside US.

Please advise.

Thanks much!
Talk to the IL DMV. In states I am familiar with your expiring license from VA would be sufficient ID to get a regular driver's license. You just would not be able to get the "Real ID" enhancement so you couldn't use it to fly.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Talk to the IL DMV. In states I am familiar with your expiring license from VA would be sufficient ID to get a regular driver's license. You just would not be able to get the "Real ID" enhancement so you couldn't use it to fly.
His VA driver's license would satisfy only one out of the 4 required document groups.

EDIT: Since we don't know which document group the OP is having problems with, we can say for certain if it is good enough. In any case, it's false to say "...your expiring license from VA would be sufficient to get a regular driver's license." I'm not sure what states you're familiar with, but there are no states that I am aware of where an out-of-state driver's license alone would satisfy all of the document requirements for a new license.

https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/dsd_x173.pdf

(That's Illinois' page & publication)

LdiJ

His VA driver's license would satisfy only one out of the 4 required document groups.

EDIT: Since we don't know which document group the OP is having problems with, we can say for certain if it is good enough. In any case, it's false to say "...your expiring license from VA would be sufficient to get a regular driver's license." I'm not sure what states you're familiar with, but there are no states that I am aware of where an out-of-state driver's license alone would satisfy all of the document requirements for a new license.

https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/dsd_x173.pdf

(That's Illinois' page & publication)
I told him to talk directly to the IL DMV. They WILL be able to give him exact information.

Zigner

I told him to talk directly to the IL DMV. They WILL be able to give him exact information.
I suppose that means that your really know of NO state where a license from another state alone is sufficient documentation to obtain a license in a that state.

LdiJ

I suppose that means that your really know of NO state where a license from another state alone is sufficient documentation to obtain a license in a that state.
Mine does for sure. Yes, you need proof of residency etc. and some backup documentation but for the primary ID, the driver's license from the other state is sufficient. You don't have to have a passport or unexpired GC.

What the heck is a matter with you today?

Zigner

Mine does for sure. Yes, you need proof of residency etc. and some backup documentation but for the primary ID, the driver's license from the other state is sufficient. You don't have to have a passport or unexpired GC.

What the heck is a matter with you today?
Your statement was that a driver's license from another state alone was sufficient. Now you wish to further clarify your statement, and that is fine.

Here are the requirements in your state (https://www.in.gov/bmv/2558.htm):

If you are at least 18 years of age and have held a valid out-of-state driver's license from the state of your prior residence, you must visit a BMV branch to present one of the following three items: your current out-of-state driver's license, a copy of your official driving record or a verification letter. You must also present documentation proving your identity, lawful status, Social Security number, and Indiana residency.

You will note that more than just the driver's license from the prior state is required. You will also note the requirement for "lawful status" which I emphasized above. Another state's driver's license alone is NOT sufficient.

Mass_Shyster

I have problem with group A docs where it says “valid passport”

this page says I can get a i-94 with photos on it and a i-551 stamp on it (not on the expired passport though) -

https://www.immihelp.com/forum/after-getting-usa-green-card/168114-renewing-driver-s-license-in-the-middle-of-gc-renewal-process

But USCIS is not allowing any walk ins for people inside US.

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-a-uscis-office/field-offices
It sounds like you need to start by renewing your passport. I have no idea what the requirements are for your county to do that. I know my wife cannot renew her passport from the country of her birth because she failed to vote, as required by law in that country.

You should contact the consulate from your country to get the ball rolling.

Zigner

It sounds like you need to start by renewing your passport. I have no idea what the requirements are for your county to do that. I know my wife cannot renew her passport from the country of her birth because she failed to vote, as required by law in that country.

You should contact the consulate from your country to get the ball rolling.
For the OP's purposes, he doesn't need to renew his passport. He just needs to take care of this matter before his out of state license expires.

SGB

The issue with my expired passport is my embassy will not renew it without a valid GC and I’m stuck until this GC thing is resolved.

Just called USCIS and got an earliest appointment on Aug 10 to do an i94 with photos and place i551 stamp on it (instead of on expired passport) which can be used wherever a valid passport is needed as per them.

However, my DL from out of state is expiring on Aug 8. Will I have any issues if I go to IL DMV on Aug 11 (with the expired out of state DL) to get a new DL? Local DMV is taking 6 hours of waiting in the line as per online reviews.

For someone who moved to IL with a valid out of state license, what are the steps and in what SEQUENCE just so my trip to DMV is not wasted? I called DMV but no one is lifting the phone.

Driver license
Title registration
Vehicle registration
Emissions test
Auto insurance

Are there driving and written tests for people like me and whose out of state DL would be expired by the time I visit DMV on Aug 11?

Thanks to all for your time!

Last edited:

SGB

Group A lists MANY options...and your non-expired out of state driver's license is one of those options.
I did not notice that. I will try making a visit to DMV before my out of state DL expires to see if they would issue me a new DL based on it.

However, I still need to have and carry the i94/i551 at all times to prove residency due to the expired GC and passport as per USCIS guidelines.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Zigner

However, I still need to have and carry the i94/i551 at all times to prove residency due to the expired passport as per USCIS guidelines.
I did not address that matter. I'm just talking about the subject of this thread, which is your DL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">