• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to get DL in IL with expired passport?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SGB

I went to the DMV but they required a valid legal status and how long I’ve been in the country. My expired passport and expired GC and current out of state DL did not help, Even though the required docs document says only one document from each group ABCD) and not mentioned in the manual but if we are not a citizen, we need to also prove our status with additional docs.

I have an appointment with USCIS field office tomorrow to get a temp i94 with 551 stamp on it due to expired pp. DMV also required me to prove how long I’ve been in this country. Does i94 have that detail?

thanks!

SGB

If I get the i94 with i551 stamp on it to prove my residency, do I still need a valid passport at DMV to get a DL? I called them but they seem to not know what the i94 with a i551 stamp on it means.

SGB

I got the above info from them. Today, I called driver services but they seem to not know what the i94 with a i551 stamp on it means (I’m getting the i94 today with i551 stamp on it which is like a temp GC). They say I need a valid passport, i94 and legal status. The manual says either GC/551 or i94 with valid passport but they don’t seem to follow that. The other day they said, if I’m not a citizen, I need to have a valid passport, my legal status and i94. A GC holder doesn’t need i94 and it doesn’t matter how long a GC holder is in the country - that’s for H1B’s, etc. Even though it is mentioned we can use an out of state valid DL from group A category of docs to get a new DL, they still insist all these docs - the manual doesn’t insist.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I got the above info from them. Today, I called driver services but they seem to not know what the i94 with a i551 stamp on it means (I’m getting the i94 today). They say I need a valid passport, i94 and legal status. The manual says either GC/551 or i94 with valid passport but they don’t seem to follow that. The other day they said, if I’m not a citizen, I need to have a valid passport, my legal status and i94. A GC holder doesn’t need i94 and it doesn’t matter how long a GC holder is in the country - that’s for H1B’s, etc. Even though it is mentioned we can use an out of state valid DL from group A category of docs to get a new DL, they still insist all these docs - the manual doesn’t say that.
It doesn't matter now because you don't have a valid out of state DL any more.

Zigner

Posted on 7/24/2020:
... my VA DL is expiring in 2 weeks.

Posted three weeks later:
My out of state DL is expiring today.
It's very difficult for us to help if you can't share accurate information.
You need to be at the DMV office TODAY asking for a supervisor (if needed). There is nothing that this (or any other) forum can help you with.

PAPP

Is your out of state driver's license expiration date the date on your license or an automatically extended one because of the pandemic? If it is the date on your license, I suggest you to check if the state extended the expiration date. A friend of mine was upset when she couldn't make a DMV appointment in time and her driver's license extended expiration date was coming in a week, but it turned out her state extended it again. This kind of change happens a lot recently.

I also suggest you to call DMV again to get someone who actually knows it or who is willing to find what the requirements are in your situation. As Zigner said, you might need to speak to a supervisor. Good luck!

Zigner

Is your out of state driver's license expiration date the date on your license or an automatically extended one because of the pandemic? If it is the date on your license, I suggest you to check if the state extended the expiration date. A friend of mine was upset when she couldn't make a DMV appointment in time and her driver's license extended expiration date was coming in a week, but it turned out her state extended it again. This kind of change happens a lot recently.

I also suggest you to call DMV again to get someone who actually knows it or who is willing to find what the requirements are in your situation. As Zigner said, you might need to speak to a supervisor. Good luck!
I don't disagree with you, but it's at best a 50/50 proposition that, for this purpose, an out-of-state license that shows as expired is going to be accepted based upon a blanket administrative order extending the expiration dates in that state. It's definitely an avenue worth exploring, though.

SGB

Thought this might help somebody...

I got the GC extended for 6 months with a separate i94 document made with i551 stamp on it (because the PP was expired, they would not put the i551 stamp in the PP). This is my new paper GC as they took away the old expired GC.

I went to DMV and got the DL and registration done using the i94 with i551 stamp on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">