• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to get repayed for funneral

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ladydi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa
My step son died and his mother and brother are the beneficiary of his life policy. However my husband and I put up the 12,796.00 for funeral expenses because no one had money to pay for it at the time but us. It was just about all the savings I had. Is there any legal way to make them pay back this money or am I out all that money even though she signed the funeral arrangement papers along with my husband. Someone please help they have not received the payments yet can I put a lien:confused: on the insurance company.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa
My step son died and his mother and brother are the beneficiary of his life policy. However my husband and I put up the 12,796.00 for funeral expenses because no one had money to pay for it at the time but us. It was just about all the savings I had. Is there any legal way to make them pay back this money or am I out all that money even though she signed the funeral arrangement papers along with my husband. Someone please help they have not received the payments yet can I put a lien:confused: on the insurance company.
You have no right to the life insurance proceeds. I don't see that you have much recourse. I know that does not sound fair, but it is the way it is. Why didn't dad have a life insurance policy on his son?

ladydi

he was 29 and had his own life policy he also left us with $35,000.00 school loan. Can I claim as a loss on income tax?

justalayman

did you have an agreement that the brother or mother would pay you back?

If not, you have no right to seek repayment from them.

Just curious, this was your husbands son, yes? Is there some reason your husband should not have assisted in paying for his own sons funeral? I know he had no legal requirement to pay for it (unless the boy was a minor) but it was his son and apparently his own estate did not have the funds to pay for for the funeral.

You could place a claim against the boys estate if there is anything of value in the estate.

ladydi

no one had money but us and my husband was being nice I was asked not to go with them to the funeral polar(I think his mom should be responsible for half and not me) My husband is going to call her and ask her to be reimbursed for half. The insurance company has not made any payments yet it has been 4 months. I guess I always thought the estate was suppose to pay for the funeral cost then the beneficiary. Thanks for advice

How do you place a claim if you are not the beneficiary. He had 2 policies and we had to send corners report to one which is aflac the other was his work which is supposed to be 1 1/2 his salary.

Antigone*

no one had money but us and my husband was being nice I was asked not to go with them to the funeral polar(I think his mom should be responsible for half and not me) My husband is going to call her and ask her to be reimbursed for half. The insurance company has not made any payments yet it has been 4 months. I guess I always thought the estate was suppose to pay for the funeral cost then the beneficiary. Thanks for advice

How do you place a claim if you are not the beneficiary. He had 2 policies and we had to send corners report to one which is aflac the other was his work which is supposed to be 1 1/2 his salary.
I am sorry, but you have no right to file a claim if you are not a beneficiary.

justalayman

being a beneficiary has nothing to do with what I spoke of unless the estate was the beneficiary. That insurance money, as long as the estate was not the beneficiary, goes directly to the beneficiary and they have no requirement to pay for the funeral or anything else with that money. It is theirs, plain and simple.

what I said is: if the estate has any value, file for the funeral expenses with the estate like in when the estate is probated. An estate is responsible for the funeral expenses of the decedent but if the estate has no money, then it surely cannot repay you.

ladydi

Thanks for your advice everyone I guess I should be used to the ex finding ways of getting our money she has been doing it for 12 years it just sucks it was my savings this time. And yet I am still a nice person I made a cd of his life to the music that hey composed over the years and pics. I guess thats the way the cookie crumbles

Thanks again

Isis1

Thanks for your advice everyone I guess I should be used to the ex finding ways of getting our money she has been doing it for 12 years it just sucks it was my savings this time. And yet I am still a nice person I made a cd of his life to the music that hey composed over the years and pics. I guess thats the way the cookie crumbles

Thanks again
wow, the child is dead and you are STILL resentful. nice.

ladydi

not towards him just his mother she did not pay $55,000. for his college or help them when they need bill money

He was a great step son

Antigone*

wow, the child is dead and you are STILL resentful. nice.
I actually understand the OPs sense of frustration. When my SS died last year, his mom behaved poorly as well.

She comitted to pay a certain amount at the funeral home. She supposedly left to get the funds and didn't make good on her promise.

I resent her for really showing yet again what a poor excuse of a mother she's been. My SS got a decent funeral and it was worth all the money in the world.

To this day I still feel she is a poor excuse of a mother.

OP. At the end of the day, you showed your husband that his child really mattered. Leave it there..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">