• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to Give Up Legal Custody of a Relative

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



from augusta, georgia.
I am a single(never married) woman who is a soldier on active duty in the u.s. army. my sister, who has never cared for her son, allowed my mother to take him away from her when the child was about 1 years old. my mother has been the child's legal "guardian" until Sept, 2000. i had just returned back to the u.s. from a one year overseas tour. when i went home to maryland to visit before reporting to georgia, my mom and sister both asked (begged) me to take chris and apply for legal custody. my sister agreed to give up all legal rights. chris has never seen his father, who used to reside in illinois, but left that state and his whereabouts are now unknown. i agreed to take of chris. when i arrived home to maryland, i found out that chris, now 16, had become violent and disrespectful towards my mother. he had anger management problems that caused him to kick holes in walls of my mom's home. he became so "unruly" that my mom had him admitted to a mental health institution for juveniles. i was not aware that my mother was suffering abuse such as being cussed out by chris and even threaten with bodily harm making it difficult to live in the same house. well, to make a long story short, i went to court with my mom and sister and was given legal custody of my nephew. chris has displayed the same disrespect and ill-regard for anything I tell him. he has gotten suspended from school so many times since coming to georgia for various nusciences that he been kicked out of the county public school system to attend the county "alternative" school program. as soon as he got to that school he again begin disrespecting the teachers and all authority. i am so upset and frustrated with this child that i no longer want to keep him. what are the steps for giving up legal custody of my nephew? would putting him into foster care be best? what can i do to live in peace again?

My sister was in a near-fatal car accident in february, 2001 and is unable to physically care for her son. she will need assisted care for the rest of her life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential