• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to leave $ to Married son only.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

that was not advice
So just perspective then. Lucky you, it was free.

Seriously...You don't have to pay attention to the comments you don't like...although IMO that is foolish. Often other POV, even if you initially find them rude, unpleasant, mean...whatever...can offer a perspective that is helpful.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
—Is it possible to make a trust to state that he deposit inheritance in separate account with his name only? ( What he does after that will be up to him).
You don't need a trust just for that. You can specify in your will (or your revocable living trust, if you use that for your estate planning) that your executor/trustee set up a bank account for him in his name only and have the inheritance deposited into that account. Of course the next minute after he got may transfer it to a joint bank account if he wants. But at least he'd have to take the extra step to do that.

his wife is spoiled, irresponsible, and a spendthrift with no regard for how hard my son works. In addition, she has not been nice to me thru the years and it makes me sick to think she will benefit from my hard earned assets.
The problem is that if he loves her and wants to share things with her then your efforts to cut her out likely won't be appreciated. While you don't like her, does she make him happy? If so, can't you look past your problems with her for his sake and just accept that she's what he wants? If the answer is no (and I've known others who just couldn't stand their kid's spouse) then perhaps giving your assets to a charity or different beneficiary is the better thing to do. Because once you give him his inheritance he can do what he wants with it and that includes sharing it with her. You could give him some smaller amount of your estate to let him know you were thinking of him and then the rest to charity, and explain to your son before you pass that you made that choice because you really believe in the charity and want to do some good with your hard earned money and (if true) that you are proud of what he's been able to achieve on his own. No need to mention her at all and no need create hard feelings that might result if you said you wanted to keep her hands off the money.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Thank you for all your interesting comments and advice!

his wife is spoiled, irresponsible, and a spendthrift with no regard for how hard my son works. In addition, she has not been nice to me thru the years and it makes me sick to think she will benefit from my hard earned assets.
(He would probably put inheritance in joint marital account).
—Is it possible to make a trust to state that he deposit inheritance in separate account with his name only? ( What he does after that will be up to him).

ty
Please reread post #5.

Also consider: do they have children? You could, instead, have a trust for your grandchildren, and skip your son. Some relatives of mine have done that.

Sure it was - find a charity that is more to your liking.
You are correct. “Find a charity” is advice.
However, making the comment that I’m not nice because I asked a question regarding how trusts work is not keeping with the integrity and good will of this website to help lay people with legitimate questions.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You are correct. “Find a charity” is advice.
However, making the comment that I’m not nice because I asked a question regarding how trusts work is not keeping with the integrity and good will of this website to help lay people with legitimate questions.
Actually it is. If you dislike your son's wife, that is on you. If your son loves her, then maybe you should consider the reasons why. You need to make peace with the entire situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">