• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to Legally "Import" Medication for Personal Use In USA via Mail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CrashTest9900

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts.

How can I legally import medication for personal use via the mail in the USA? By, "import," I mean order online from a pharmacy in Europe to arrive in my home in Boston, MA, USA.

Drug is Aromasin/Exemestane, which is not a scheduled substance and not a controlled substance, but requires prescription in USA.

I have a prescription.

Purpose: It is to correct a rare form of a severe endocrine disorder (a private medical matter which I do not want to disclose on this forum). My reason for wanting to import, or simply order online from Europe and have it delivered to my home in Boston, is that there is a brand of my medication in Europe that works much better than any alternative here in the USA.

I would be importing/ordering online,
1. For personal use.
2. I have a prescription.
3. This would not be more than a 3 month supply.

Are there any other requirements for legally ordering this medication from Europe to my home in the USA online (which I believe to be known as, "importing medication for personal use")? If there is no legal way, then how likely is it that one would be penalized?

Last edited:

CrashTest9900

Thank you, but that website still leaves me with the question of, if I meet every requirement on their list, am I free to order legally, or do I need to do something before ordering my medication from Europe online? In other words, all of the following (from FDA's website), in fact, does apply in my situation,

FDA, however, has a policy explaining that it typically does not object to personal imports of drugs that FDA has not approved under certain circumstances, including the following situation:

• The drug is for use for a serious condition for which effective treatment is not available in the United States;
  • There is no commercialization or promotion of the drug to U.S. residents;
  • The drug is considered not to represent an unreasonable risk;
  • The individual importing the drug verifies in writing that it is for his or her own use, and provides contact information for the doctor providing treatment or shows the product is for the continuation of treatment begun in a foreign country; and
  • Generally, not more than a 3-month supply of the drug is imported.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you, but that website still leaves me with the question of, if I meet every requirement on their list, am I free to order legally, or do I need to do something before ordering my medication from Europe online? In other words, all of the following (from FDA's website), in fact, does apply in my situation,

FDA, however, has a policy explaining that it typically does not object to personal imports of drugs that FDA has not approved under certain circumstances, including the following situation:

• The drug is for use for a serious condition for which effective treatment is not available in the United States;
  • There is no commercialization or promotion of the drug to U.S. residents;
  • The drug is considered not to represent an unreasonable risk;
  • The individual importing the drug verifies in writing that it is for his or her own use, and provides contact information for the doctor providing treatment or shows the product is for the continuation of treatment begun in a foreign country; and
  • Generally, not more than a 3-month supply of the drug is imported.
There is no way that we can specifically advise if it's ok for you to import the drugs. If you are concerned about the legality, you should not rely on an internet forum - seek out the opinion of a local attorney.

quincy

I agree with Zigner. If you question the legality of the importation of the drug, you should consult with an attorney in your area.

Imported drugs are flagged at customs but whether your drug will be approved is fact-specific.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">