• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to make foreign entity a POD on apartment, saving account, government bonds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tirupati

What is the name of your state? New York

I have my own apartment, savings account and government bonds.

How to list temple in India as POD?

What type of attorney shall I visit to set this up? What questions shall I ask? Please help.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? New York

I have my own apartment, savings account and government bonds.

What type of attorney shall I visit to set this up? What questions shall I ask? Please help.
I agree that you need to consult an estate attorney, however, setting up a trust and making that trust the POD, with the temple as the beneficiary of the trust, might be the better way to go. An estate attorney can advise you.

zddoodah

I have my own apartment
Do you own this apartment or rent it?

With respect to the apartment, if you own it, New York recently enacted a transfer-on-death law for real property. Especially since it's a new law, I'd suggest retaining an attorney to ensure you do it right.

With respect to a savings account, you go to the bank and say that you want to designate or change your pay-on-death beneficiary.

With respect to savings bonds, you can't designate a POD beneficiary. The administrator/executor of your estate would have to transfer the bonds to the intended beneficiary.

What type of attorney shall I visit to set this up?
Estate planning.

What questions shall I ask?
Ask whatever questions you like. You should tell the attorney what result you want to achieve, and he/she will ask you questions.

setting up a trust and making that trust the POD, with the temple as the beneficiary of the trust, might be the better way to go.
Concur.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">