• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to move brother from nursing home in one state to another state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My brother is in a care facility in Illinois. I need to move him to Michigan in order to be with family. He is cognitive and capable. Do I need "power of attorney"? Do I need a lawyer for that? The facility has control of his retirement income and will not return my phone calls.

zddoodah

Do I need "power of attorney"?
If your brother has his wits about him, you don't need to do anything other than help him pack.

The facility has control of his retirement income and will not return my phone calls.
What facility? If you neglected to tell us that he's currently living in some sort of assisted living facility, then they'll probably only discuss this sort of thing with him or someone who has a power of attorney.

Do I need to hire a lawyer in order to get power of attorney? Or can I just bring him along with me to a notary public and sign the paper, for instance at his bank.

quincy

Do I need to hire a lawyer in order to get power of attorney? Or can I just bring him along with me to a notary public and sign the paper, for instance at his bank.
Your brother, if he is “cognitive and capable,” should review the documents he signed, including the one(s) that gave the facility control of his retirement income. There could be papers that say what he needs to do to terminate any contract he might have with the facility.

It no doubt would help your brother to have his own attorney, so his move from Illinois to Michigan goes smoothly.

Thanks, Quincy. I doubt this place will even allow him to review any documents. I believe they want to keep milking their cashcow. They are not returning any of my phone calls.

quincy

Thanks, Quincy. I doubt this place will even allow him to review any documents. I believe they want to keep milking their cashcow. They are not returning any of my phone calls.
Given that, it seems even more clear that your brother should have an attorney assist in “freeing” him from whatever might bind him legally to the facility. If he currently lives there, it is likely he has a lease of sorts that requires termination.

Big Thank You to everybody here. My brother does not have a lawyer in Bloomington. So I have to find one for him. He doesn't have a phone and I think they monitor any calls, he's always very careful about what he says when I talk to him.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Big Thank You to everybody here. My brother does not have a lawyer in Bloomington. So I have to find one for him. He doesn't have a phone and I think they monitor any calls, he's always very careful about what he says when I talk to him.
Get him a phone and get him a lawyer. Also, they aren't going to release info to you without his permission.

Most people here have not had experience living in one of these places. It is near impossible to get anything done without an advocate on the outside.

Get him a phone and get him a lawyer. Also, they aren't going to release info to you without his permission.

Most people here have not had experience living in one of these places. It is near impossible to get anything done without an advocate on the outside.
Yes. You are most definitely correct. I will try to be his advocate, but will need help. Wish me luck. P.S. He has given them permission to release info to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">