• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to obtain federal inmate visitation log

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nativebuzz

Arizona/New Mexico
How do I obtain a copy of a federal inmates visitation log? I have submitted a request through the freedom of information act, but have been deterred each time. Short of getting a subpeona and spending money on retaining a lawyer to get them, I would like to exhaust every option available to me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Arizona/New Mexico
How do I obtain a copy of a federal inmates visitation log? I have submitted a request through the freedom of information act, but have been deterred each time. Short of getting a subpeona and spending money on retaining a lawyer to get them, I would like to exhaust every option available to me.
Why do you feel the need to have the visitation log?

CdwJava

Arizona/New Mexico
And if you properly submitted a FOIA request through the proper federal office, what reason did they give for denying the request?

nativebuzz

I need them for a child custody motion that I am filing to prove that respondent was visiting a federal inmate during the time they were supposed to be 500 miles away with said child. The FOIA request was denied by the federal prison stating that visitor logs were private and that I would have to request permission from the inmate to obtain those logs.

La-a

I need them for a child custody motion that I am filing to prove that respondent was visiting a federal inmate during the time they were supposed to be 500 miles away with said child.
What harm came to "said child" due to this? What happened?

nativebuzz said:
The FOIA request was denied by the federal prison stating that visitor logs were private and that I would have to request permission from the inmate to obtain those logs.
Then that's what you have to do.

nativebuzz

The respondent left the child alone overnight, took all means of communication (particularly the childs cellphone), and turned off their own cell phone. It was only until I notified the childs grandparents to check in on them, that they found the child alone. The grandparents could not get in touch with the respondent until the following day. I have already asked (very politely) the inmate if I could have those logs, but the inmate refuses to grant my request.

La-a

The respondent left the child alone overnight, took all means of communication (particularly the childs cellphone), and turned off their own cell phone. It was only until I notified the childs grandparents to check in on them, that they found the child alone. The grandparents could not get in touch with the respondent until the following day.
How old was the child?
What happened to the child?

nativebuzz said:
I have already asked (very politely) the inmate if I could have those logs, but the inmate refuses to grant my request.
I don't have any idea if or how you could get around that, but someone here might.

nativebuzz

The child is 11 years old. The child did not know where the respondent was, if coming back, or a way to get hold of the other parent. The respondent's residence is in a rural part of northern Arizona, so going to a neighbor for help can be quite treacherous.

swalsh411

The inmate doesn't want you to have his visitor logs. That is apparently his right. So I think you have your answer there.

FlyingRon

The FOIA has exemptions against records that would expose the indvidual's personal privacy. As stated you'll either have to get the inmate's permission or you'll have to file a court case and convince a judge to issue a formal subpoena for the records. Of course, you'll need to show pretty good cause as to why and how it would be LEGALLY relevant. You're not allowed to just go fishing.

Proserpina

Additionally, unless this is going to confirm a proven pattern of leaving the child unattended, it's really not going to do much good in a custody case in all likelihood.

CdwJava

I would think the same purpose would be served when the grandparents found the child alone and not knowing where the parent was. Since the key issue is that the parent had left the child alone, and apparently this put the child at risk somehow, then does it really matter where she was?

And how do you KNOW she was visiting said inmate? If she told you, then you can use that in the court hearing.

And, as mentioned, a single such incident of leaving an 11 year old child home alone is not likely to shock the court. Though, it might be possible to require in any visitation order that the child have access to a phone of some kind at all times.

OHRoadwarrior

Not to sideline the discussion, but I am thinking Warren Jeffs received a visit from one of his wives here.

OP, I don't know that the child being left alone constitutes neglect. AZ has no age for which a child cannot be left alone. If you wanted to establish it was neglect vs heresay, you should have involved child protective services to make the call. In some countries and previously in ours, 11 year olds married and had children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">