• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to proceed? - Husband threading me for not signing sponsorship petition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ADG1980

I live in NY state and need advice about if I need an immigration attorney vs family law/divorce.

I married my boyfriend in Oct when he unexpectedly lost his work visa. The marriage was never consummated, we never lived together + he soon after admitted to me he never intended for it to be bona fide and has been with other women. Based on this, I never signed a petition of sponsorship and we’ve been estranged.

Our attornies kept asking him for an update, which he ignored for months, so today I found the courage to inform both him and them that I’m disengaging. I did tell the attorney it wasn’t bona fide.

He immediately sent me a threatening text that “this unfortunately isn’t the end of things.” He has a company and has been working under the radar without a visa since August, so this is a blow.

I can’t file for a no fault divorce until April. Can he do anything legally to hurt me + what kind of attorney do I need to protect myself now that our immigration attorney no longer reps either of us?

As noted, I did not sponsor him.

Thank you!

FlyingRon

Listen to your attorney. I assume since you mentioned that you haven't "sponsored" him that you did not sign either the I-130 or I-864.
What is your putative spouse's current immigration status?

ADG1980

My attorney sent us a letter of disengagement and refunded my spouse’s retainer. When I asked a follow-up question, she said that she no longer represents either of us and to seek out my own lawyer. But since I never sponsored him, I don’t believe I’d need an immigration attorney?

He can stay in the US legally until April, but is not allowed to work, which he is.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
My attorney sent us a letter of disengagement and refunded my spouse’s retainer. When I asked a follow-up question, she said that she no longer represents either of us and to seek out my own lawyer. But since I never sponsored him, I don’t believe I’d need an immigration attorney?

He can stay in the US legally until April, but is not allowed to work, which he is.
Retain a divorce lawyer.

FlyingRon

n attorney?

I'm sorry, but if you can't answer direct questions, we certainly can't help you. WHAT BASIS OF ADMISSION DID HE ENTER (what visa)? DID HE ENTER LEGALLY? DID HE FILE FOR AN ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS? ON WHAT BASIS? Did you sign any of the immigration paperwork?

You need to find a new attorney.

ADG1980

I absolutely agree. You need a divorce lawyer. There is no reason whatsoever for you to hire an immigration attorney.
Thank you. When our attorney disengaged, she recommended I find another immigration attorney, which didn't make sense to me since I never signed the petition.

ADG1980

I'm sorry, but if you can't answer direct questions, we certainly can't help you. WHAT BASIS OF ADMISSION DID HE ENTER (what visa)? DID HE ENTER LEGALLY? DID HE FILE FOR AN ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS? ON WHAT BASIS? Did you sign any of the immigration paperwork?

You need to find a new attorney.
He entered the US legally with an O-1 work visa. When his sponsor withdrew it in July, he decided not file for an adjustment of status and get married instead. When I discovered his true intentions, I did NOT sign any of the immigration paperwork.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
He entered the US legally with an O-1 work visa. When his sponsor withdrew it in July, he decided not file for an adjustment of status and get married instead. When I discovered his true intentions, I did NOT sign any of the immigration paperwork.
Retain a divorce lawyer and report the fraud to the USCIS.

Here's their online tip form: https://www.uscis.gov/report-fraud/uscis-tip-form
Or you can call: 1-800-375-5283

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">