• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to report bad tenants?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Caraboutu

Is there any way that I, as a landlord, can report my tenants to the credit bureau? We are losing our home to foreclosure due to their non payment of rent. The house IS going to foreclosure and eviction is out of the question due to laws in Vermont. Please don't tell me how to save my home, I just want to know HOW I can put this on their credit report to warn other landlords.

J

jlw1000

I know eviction is next to impossible, especially since the house ins in VT & you are in DE. Which is a shame because when a court does award a judgment due to an eviction it really screws up the deadbeat's credit & scares away potential LL's.

Another option is to subscribe to a credit bureau. This is expensive & I know unrealistic.

A more realistic and affordable option is to sign up at with the National Associate of Independent Landlords. There # is 800-352-3395. You will have to offer proof you are a LL. Usually proof that you own the property & a copy of the lease are sufficient. I am sure there is a fee, but it would be less then subsribing to the credit bureau.

They also offer rent monitoring for $5.95 a month. They call the tenant & you to verify the monthly rent has been paid. If it has not then they report to the credit bureau.

I hope all this nastiness is over for you soon. I can only imagine how you must be feeling and hope for the best for you and your family.

C

Caraboutu

Thank you for the advice. I might call that number today and see how much it costs. It just makes me so sick to my stomach that there are people out there that are capable of this type of behavior. They know we live out of state and they know they can sit there as long as they want. Why don't they just pay their rent??? The whole situation makes me want to cry! Anyway, I do want to do something to warn other landlords. I'll call that number today. Thank you so much for your help.

Cara

JETX

Caraboutu:
As a landlord, I also empathize with your plight. However, in reality there is no way for you to report these deadbeats to any CRA (Credit Reporting Agency).

There are three major CRA's (TransUnion, Equifax and Experian). TransUnion and Experian will ONLY accept debtor information from members (subscribers to their services). The only remaining CRA (Equifax) will accept from non-members, but only officially documented information (as in court ordered judgments). Due to liability issues, they will NOT accept unproven, statements of claims.

So, to answer your question, the only way for you to be able to give the tenants a 'hit' on their credit report is to get a judgment (and send it to Equifax) or to join the other two CRA's and then file as a member.

J

jlw1000

Halket:

The company I referred Cara to verifies the validity of your claim. The make sure you are a LL before assisting you. You might want to check out their website at www.nails-usa.com, before telling her that it isn't possible.

C

CA. Landlady

jlw:

I was suspect of this particular post from the very beginning and even more now after reading your reply. Plus, you also wanted to know at another thread why I didn't reply to this particular post. Ummm...I don't reply to all posters so is this a pal in DE of yours???
Just know I wasn't born yesterday.

Cara:

>>>The house IS going to foreclosure and eviction is out of the question due to laws in Vermont<<<

Why is eviction out of the question? Why didn't you begin the eviction process as soon as the tenant became late? If you had began the eviction process and the home is foreclosed on before the process is completed you most likely could continue with the eviction in order to seek a judgement against them. Hope you didn't have much invested in the property.

>>>Why don't they just pay their rent???<<<

If you have any other rental properties, the question should be what can I do the next time order to be more assured the tenant will pay the rent? Solid citizens rarely go south on you and do this sort of thing. If you do have other rental properties, I would suggest you hire a professional property manager, learn as much as you can about state specific civil codes, rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants, and the legal process in the local area otherwise you may find it's better to just sell the properties and rid yourself of the headache. Mutual funds result in far less stress and they certainly do not give you a derogatory mark on your credit report.

Last edited:

JETX

JLW:
1) Your first post referred to the "National Associate of Independent Landlords" and gave a phone number. First, there is NO such organization named as you give. I was able to find it as "National ASSOCIATION of Independent Landlords".

2) Your later post included a link to their site (www.nails-usa.com,). However, your link is also incorrect. I did find them at: http://www.nail-usa.com/

3) Finally, in looking at their site, they appear to be an organization that has consolidated 'tenant' services provided by other (often free) sites, then charging a membership fee for this service. From what I see, the only real benefit they apparently offer are that they members of (some??) of the CRA's (Credit Reporting Agencies), which would give them the ability to report debtors (as noted in my post). However, they don't mention which (if any) CRA's they have 'rights' to. In any event, I suggest that anyone interested check them out and see if they might be of some benefit. (Though I am immediately suspect of any website that fails to provide much information).

Personally, I wouldn't recommend anyone who is working under a 'false' name. So, my final recommendation would be for anyone interested in signing up with them.... investigate, verify everything, check references and make SURE that they will provide the services that you believe you are getting. BTW, these same recommendations would be made for ANY person or company wanting to turn YOUR money into THEIR money!!

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Caraboutu

CA landlady:

I'm confused by your post. What did you mean you we're suspect of this post from the very beginning, and am I a pal of that guy? I'm confused. I'm just a landlord looking for help.

C

CA. Landlady

Didn't mean to confuse you simply disregard my comment to her/"him".

Last edited:

JETX

Caraboutu: Your post to CA Landlady where you were 'confused' is caused by your overlooking the statement (by CA Landlady) that her post was directed to 'jlw' and not to you or your post.

I would assume that there is some friction between the two of them.

C

CA. Landlady

Halket:

I agree. Additionally, I find it peculiar that Cara didn't thank you for the excellent information and word of warning you supplied nor answered any of the questions posed.

You are ABSOLUTELY correct. Savvy landlords only shoot for reporting to the top three credit reporting agencies.

Last edited:
J

jlw1000

CA Landlady:

Cara has moved to DE, but her property is in VT. She has had trouble managing the property long distance because her tenants took advantage & refused to pay rent. Trying to fight back in such a situation is nearly impossible. She does not own other rental properties. This was her residence before she had to move. She is not someone I know personally, but I understand and empathize with what she is going through. (It's called compassion--look it up.)

I suspect CA Landlady is a tenant posing as a LL. I see her assisting tenants in ways of getting over on a LL, but I never see a post attempting to help a feloow LL.

C

CA. Landlady

>>>I suspect CA Landlady is a tenant posing as a LL. I see her assisting tenants in ways of getting over on a LL, but I never see a post attempting to help a feloow LL.<<<

Well, "suspect" no longer! I'm not a tenant. I own my own home or shall I say I'm purchasing it. By trade, I'm a landlady but currently BY MY OWN CHOOSING I'm not working and honestly don't know if I will return to working on-site or return to teaching (property management ). You may want to invest in some reading glasses as I have attempted "to help a feloow LL" or two and more. It has not just been at this particular site.
Again, very few landlords have questions at these sites because they typically retain legal counsel or should.

Thanks for verifying my suspicion of exactly how you knew and know Cara. You play games and remind me of some of the tenants I've dealt with in the past. At least, you learned something new from Halket although your game served to back fire on you and prove just how little you really know. You ought not recommend anyone look up compassion as you have displayed very little of it here. You're an angry person and landlord who continues to prove it to the general public. Why can't you stop embarrassing yourself with your games and snide comments?

Last edited:
C

Caraboutu

**I agree. Additionally, I find it peculiar that Cara didn't thank you for the excellent information and word of warning you supplied nor answered any of the questions posed.

You are ABSOLUTELY correct. Savvy landlords only shoot for reporting to the top three credit reporting agencies.**

I'm not sure what sort of war I started here, but this is the reason I didn't answer any of the questions posed. I am a landlord and I rented out our home in good faith. We got burned big time by scumbag tenants. I wanted info on reporting these people because I feel I need to do something to PROTECT other landlords from these folks. We've lost our home due to these scum bag tenants and they shouldn't get away with it. Laws in VT truely protect the tenants and that's highly unfortunate for landlords in that state. My realtor did warn me (after we couldn't sell the home) NOT to rent it out due to this problem in VT, but we couldn't afford to pay the mortgage plus pay for our new home in DE. THANK YOU all for the needed advice, and the hostility toward one another is really very silly.

Cara

JETX

Caraboutu:

You have made several comments that these renters are causing you to lose your property into foreclosure. You have also made several comments that seem to imply that VT statutes for eviction (detainer or ejectment) are favored to the tenant over the landlord. However, I am curious how you come to believe that. I have just spent some time reviewing the applicable VT procedures (VT Title 12, Chapters 169 and 171) and really don't see anything that appears particularly onerous or out of line with most other states.
(http://www.leg.state.vt.us/statutes/chapters.cfm?Title=12/)

Also of interest:
http://www.mv.com/ipusers/nhpoa/vtevict.htm

Is there something I am missing here???

Also, if you don't mind, how much do the renters owe and for how long??

Is this really a case of VT statutes being biased against landlords, or a case of your allowing this to go on for so long that it is too late to take action to recover?? As a current landlord (in Texas), I am really curious how this situation came about and what the facts are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">