• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to Serve a Notice to Quit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melbayer

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My rental property is in Michigan, but I'm living in California. If they do not sign for a certified letter, how can I serve a Notice to Quit? Can I assign someone to post it to the front door? And do I have to wait for a certified letter to be returned to me before I do this? Also, if I do need to evict my tenants, at what point would I need to fly to Michigan? (I'd like to do as much from California as possible, of course ;)

Thank you!

FarmerJ

If your wanting to use certified mail perhaps you should use more than one method along with it Such as making extra copies and sending out certified first then wait say three days and send another out via fed ex or confirmed mail delivery OR hire a Michigan attorney to do the notice to quit for you since then the tenants would see that you have already lined up a attorney to represent you in court should you have to file. There is a remote chance the tenant will take a notice from a attorney more seriously and just get out rather than end up with a court record that can hurt their ability to rent nicer places.

HRZ

REad the law, at. 600.5718. not some truncated guide ...often folks use both reqular mail ( w proof of mailing ) and registered mail, restricted delivery....or pay an unrelated adult to make actual service .

Anticipate you may need to appear in court and anticipate that tenant can get A
A last minute delay to frustrate your low cost advance fare tickets /schedule ..and anticipate that out of town LL s get no breaks in local small claims court ..ergo may be wiser to use local counsel up front with better odds of getting it right ....

You didn't mention the need or issue ...might matter.....sometimes " cash for
keys " is more effective than official steps

JenniSam

I am a Michigan Landlord and I always use USPS flat rate priority mail. You can track your package online and print the proof of delivery but they do not have to sign for it. In fact, I never require a signature. I find that most people are not home when mail is delivered or refuse to accept it.

I am not sure where your home is located in Michigan but there are some attorney's (the one I use) who have an online system you can use. For example, you set up an online profile with the attorney's office. If you need to send a 7 day notice, you login type in the tenant specific information and request that the attorney's office send it. A 7 day notice from an attorney usually carries a bit more weight. It gets sent and you get a bill (in my opinion its very reasonable).

If you don't get paid in 7 days, log back in and select that same 7 day notice and request that the attorney proceed with eviction. The attorney's office takes it from there. I don't even have to show up for court. If they have questions, they'll call you. If you have questions, call them.

Do not post it on the front door.

melbayer

Hi JenniSam,

My rental property is in Grand Rapids. Does your attorney work with that area? Or do you know an an attorney that does? - I'd love to use the online profile, especially if I do have to proceed with an eviction.

Melbayer

melbayer

Hi HRZ,

Thank you for that number! It was very helpful to be able to look that up. And the issue is a 7-day-notice to pay or quit for nonpayment of rent.

Melbayer

Just Blue

Hi JenniSam,

My rental property is in Grand Rapids. Does your attorney work with that area? Or do you know an an attorney that does? - I'd love to use the online profile, especially if I do have to proceed with an eviction.

Melbayer
Giving a referral on this site is a violation of the TOS. You can find an attorney by accessing the state bar or the yellowpages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">