• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to stay within the law while making a digital video/course from the teachings of licensed naturopathic doctors?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vcarotenuto

**New Jersey**

I want to make and sell a digital course or video teaching specific ways to regain one's health using nutrition and diet.

I've studied from two naturopathic physicians (I'm not a doctor) for years and I respect what they teach so much so that I want to sell their message based on their clinical experience.

What things should I keep in mind when I make this video/course and sell it online?

Also, do I have to ask permission to mention any doctor's beliefs or opinions if I want to discuss this during the video?

Thank you!

Vincent Carotenuto

adjusterjack

What things should I keep in mind when I make this video/course and sell it online?
Also, do I have to ask permission to mention any doctor's beliefs or opinions if I want to discuss this during the video?
Both questions have one answer.

GET THEIR CONSENT IN WRITING to use their material

Otherwise you might find yourself sued back into the stone age.

quincy

**New Jersey**

I want to make and sell a digital course or video teaching specific ways to regain one's health using nutrition and diet.

I've studied from two naturopathic physicians (I'm not a doctor) for years and I respect what they teach so much so that I want to sell their message based on their clinical experience.

Thank you!

Vincent Carotenuto
Do you have any credentials of your own?

vcarotenuto

Hi, I have a Master Herbalist certification. Mainly my qualifications come from studying hundreds of hours from naturopathic doctors for over four years now.

quincy

Hi, I have a Master Herbalist certification. Mainly my qualifications come from studying hundreds of hours from naturopathic doctors for over four years now.
You can discuss what you have learned on your own and from others.

You should not use anyone else’s clinical experiences. You need to avoid infringing on anyone else’s publicity/privacy rights and copyrights and trademark rights. You cannot trade off the names of others (promote yourself using others’ names or images).

Your videos should stand on their own, in other words. You could try to get endorsements from the experts who taught you, though.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Have a lawyer review your videos before you sell or distribute them. In addition to intellectual property concerns there are also other potential legal issues here. Promoting any kind of food, drug, supplement or health regimen involves various federal and state laws that you want to be sure you follow. Oversimplifying the law a lot here, unsupported claims of medical benefits from a product, for example, can run afoul of the Food and Drug Act, and put you in the cross hairs of the FDA.

quincy

A personal review of the content prior to publication and sale is always smart. As would be insurance enough to cover a lawsuit should one arise.

Although herbalists do not have to be licensed in New Jersey, vcarotenuto should make clear exactly what his credentials are so he does not appear to be something he’s not.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">