• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to terminate child support after child is 18

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redman24

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I've been paying into the child support receipting unit (not garnished) but after my child turns 18 in Tennessee, how do I close the child support case so that the other parent can't pursue further child support?

I heard that I have to file a court motion in court, if that is true, is there a way that the other party can acknowledge that the obligation has been met without showing up in court?

adjusterjack

after my child turns 18 in Tennessee, how do I close the child support case so that the other parent can't pursue further child support?
There are actually 3 questions (or issues) in that questions.

1 - CS might not end at 18 if the child is still in high school.

2 - How you end may be learned by going to your family court website and looking for forms and instructions. If not there, try a court in a larger county that might have more sophisticated self help guides. If that doesn't help, hire a lawyer.

3 - Nothing prevents the other parent from "seeking" further child support for good cause.

I heard that I have to file a court motion in court, if that is true, is there a way that the other party can acknowledge that the obligation has been met without showing up in court?
Dunno. You'll have to find out the process and then you might be able to answer that question yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">