• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to vacate a permanent restraining order? Both parties okay with it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AndyM2210

during a nasty divorce, I got two 209A restraining orders. This was 1999. In 2004, I tried to vacate, but was unable to. In both cases, there was no record of violence or incidence. The affidavits listed a general fear. Now that our children have grown up and there have been no incidence, both parties agree to get rid of them. I travel internationally extensively and coming back in the US is always a problem. If both parties agree, how do we get rid of them? This is in Massachusetts

Mass_Shyster

Go to the court that issued the restraining order and ask that it be terminated.

This is assuming by "both parties" you are referring the the plaintiff and the defendant. One question that might be asked is how would both parties be in agreement if they are not supposed to be in contact?

justalayman

Go to the court that issued the restraining order and ask that it be terminated.

This is assuming by "both parties" you are referring the the plaintiff and the defendant. One question that might be asked is how would both parties be in agreement if they are not supposed to be in contact?
While I understand your statement, a (very) quick read of 209a suggests no contact at all is an option which suggests it is not necessarily put in every 209a order. Due to that, without knowing the specific terms of the order, we don’t know if all contact is prohibited or whether 3rd party contact is disallowed.

xylene

Given the timeframe, it is fair to assume your 209a is permanent.

That means a detailed rationale WHY It was to be permanent was part of the case.

Did you violate the first order?

I find you phrasing "I got" slighltly dismaying, it lacks seriousness and is unclear .

You give VERY short treatment to your first attempt to vacate in 04, did you have a lawyer?

You need a lawyer, and as others have pointed out you may an may both be admitting to some degree of violation.

Please don't let this be about getting your gun rights back either...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">