• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How would I apply for a VAWA green card (as an abused spouse) from outside the USA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

UKGAL

I entered the US on a K1 visa and married my husband (a US citizen) but shortly after we married he became abusive and I left the US before my K1 expired, and before filing for adjustment of status, in order to return to safety in my native UK. I would now like to file as for VAWA self petition and return to the US. My husband is still in the US and we have not yet started divorce proceedings. Would it be possible to file for VAWA from the UK and how would I proceed? Thank you

LdiJ

I entered the US on a K1 visa and married my husband (a US citizen) but shortly after we married he became abusive and I left the US before my K1 expired, and before filing for adjustment of status, in order to return to safety in my native UK. I would now like to file as for VAWA self petition and return to the US. My husband is still in the US and we have not yet started divorce proceedings. Would it be possible to file for VAWA from the UK and how would I proceed? Thank you
You would need to check with a US immigration attorney to be sure, but I believe that you gave up that option when you voluntarily chose to leave the US.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">