• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HR "Forgot" to Deduct my insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

linren84

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I work for a small company...about 20 employees. Last week the HR lady called to tell me they have not been deducting my med insurance from my paychecks. I have been working at this company for 9 months. So now they are saying I owe them $800. I understand this is partially my fault bc I should have been looking at my pay stubs. Now they are deducting an additional amount out to repay the balance. My question is should my insurance be pre taxed from my check? I have asked people and they are telling me pre taxed. But my company is saying after taxes....I just want to make sure I'm not getting taken advantage of. Bc I am a little mad at this whole situation. Thanks!:mad:

Beth3

Only your employer can answer that question. Whether a deduction for health insurance premiums can be made pre-tax depends on whether your employer has a health plan that complies with 125B tax regulations and has filed the appropriate plan document with the DOL and IRS. Many employers have instituted such Plans but not all have nor are they required to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">