• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HR Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hershey220

Kind of a wierd question and I was wondering if anyone could answer this. I've been working full time for my company for about 2 years and before that I was an intern for the same company for a few summers. When I started full time, my company profile had 2 dates one in 2001 and the other in 2002 and I started full time in 2004. I wanted to know what date was being used for 401k vesting and stuff like that and they "fixed" the date to 2004. I guess I was dumb for bringing it up, but since I was under the assumption that my start date was earlier, can they change it? Isn't this misrepresentation of some sort? Just wondering if I have any legitimacy in trying to convice them to change it back or if I'm just skrewed and shouldn't have messed with it. Thanks for your help!

*I live in Minnesota

Last edited:

Betty

Hershey220 said:
Kind of a wierd question and I was wondering if anyone could answer this. I've been working full time for my company for about 2 years and before that I was an intern for the same company for a few summers. When I started full time, my company profile had 2 dates one in 2001 and the other in 2002 and I started full time in 2004. I wanted to know what date was being used for 401k vesting and stuff like that and they "fixed" the date to 2004. I guess I was dumb for bringing it up, but since I was under the assumption that my start date was earlier, can they change it? Isn't this misrepresentation of some sort? Just wondering if I have any legitimacy in trying to convice them to change it back or if I'm just skrewed and shouldn't have messed with it. Thanks for your help!

*I live in Minnesota
Generally speaking, a person must be age 21 & completed 1,000 hrs. of service annually to be able to be "considered" a full time employee & eligible to participate in your employer's 401k plan. You may not have met the company's requirements prior to 2004. 2004 would be then used as the start of your vesting period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">