• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hurricane Ivan Damage - Insurance Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sargek34

What is the name of your state? Alabama

Our home received damage from Hurricance Ivan. We were covered under our homeowners insurance. Our problem cropped up when we received our insurance check. The check was made out to us, the couple who is carrying our contract and a bank. We were aware of the couple being on the check as they are named as loss payee on our homeowners insurance. After inquiring about the bank, we were told there was a mortgage on our home from the couple we purchased the home from. This mortgage was never disclosed to us during the purchase. Title search showed no outstanding mortgages. To make long story short.... This bank wants the check! Called insurance company and was told the mortgage company added themselves as a lien holder 1 yr ago and put in change of address, so the notice and current insurance policy went to them instead of us! Help! Do they have a right to our insurance check? :eek:

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

If the mortgage was taken out after you started living on the property, the insurance check is made out correctly.

Again, this is why contracts to purchase (lease-options, whatever) are bad ideas.

sargek34

update on isurance check

Thank you for the reply! Didn't know if anyone was going to try and help me. We discovered the mortgage was not disclosed at signing. We also discovered the people who are carrying our note removed the bank from our insurance policy after it was questioned. I guess they could do this since they own the bank! We now have our home up for sale, of course we obtained written permission to do this. I hope we sale pretty soon so we can put all of this behind us! After saying all of this, yes, they did sign off on our check and repairs have been made!

S

seniorjudge

Move to higher ground.

The next tsunami might just inundate all of Florida. :eek:

S

seniorjudge

sargek34 said:
Well, you could be right if I was living in Florida! :)
You don't think a tsunami could hit AL?

The G of M is a real hotbed of seismic activity.

Buy a life preserver.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">