• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hurricane Katrina

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veronica1228

HomeGuru said:
Can anyone explain why the Federal government took so long to provide help to the victims?
While this country is being run by an ..we'll always be behind.

Last edited by a moderator:

dogwood

Convoy back from Iraq, now bound for New Orleans
Sunday, September 04, 2005
By ANDREA JAMES
Business Reporter
A convoy of more than 300 Alabama Army National Guard members, many of whom returned this year from Iraq, rolled out of Mobile on Saturday, bound for New Orleans to help restore order to the broken city.

Battalions from Florence and Huntsville joined the 711th Signal Battalion out of Mobile to form a security task force in response to Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco's call for help, according to Task Force 711th Cmdr. Scott Gedling.

Their mission will be to maintain security for the continuing evacuation of New Orleans, which flooded after Hurricane Katrina struck Monday. Soldiers were told to prepare for the worst in terms of violence and working conditions, and that the deployment could last anywhere from two weeks to more than a month.

Advertisement

3 guesses why... :(

racer72

In cases of natural disaster such as this, the first line of help is generally the National Guard. Guess where most NG members are now? Iraq. FEMA than could have called out the Army Corps of Engineers for help. Whoops, sent a bunch of them to Iraq to help build new roads. When first notified of the extent of the problems, Bush was golfing with his buddies and did not want to be disturbed. The governor of Louisiana can take part of the blame too for waiting 3 days to ask for federal assistance. The FEMA director finally stepped up yesterday and said his agency dropped the ball, he claimed it didn't appear to be that bad. Hey buddy, didn't you watch the news? Also, very few had flood insurance due to the high cost. And some mortgage companies have asked a federal court for permission to sue outside of New Orleans because they know folks will not be making their house payments for a while, if at all. The fault starts at the top and works it's way down.

Veronica1228

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

How many Americans voted for Bush?

That's your answer. You got what you deserved.

IAAL
Unfortunately, those of us who did NOT vote for Bush also got what they deserved. :(

rmet4nzkx

There were communication problems, especially between the current and former mayors of N O, and the Gov of LA. MS has more direct hurricane damage and are ahead of LA in recovery, they had better communication and didn't have the additional problems from the levee breaks. The Mayor said to evaccuate but many people believed if they made it through Camille they would be safe. The Army Corps of Eng already knew the levees wouldn't hold up to a class III or better hurricane, levees that were last updated in the 90's but basically unchanged since the last centuary, all levels of government gambled and spent the money elsewhere rather than upgrade the levee's or sock supplies. The (former) mayor was telling people to go to the convention center but none of the other officials knew this right away. Because cell phones didn't work and some of the EMS were knocked out within the city and state government no one told the Gov that people were in the Convention center. The Ambulance company had sattalite communications and began coordinating with the news services who could go out looking for news once the storm hit, that is how FEMA heard about the people at the Convention center, they already knew about the ones in the Superdome, but it still takes time to get the NG outfitted and deployed. Because FEMA is called by local governments, the local governments had to wait until after the hurricane hit before determining where help was needed.

The Gov of LA, only asked for approx 1200 national guard at first before the Levee's broke thinking they had missed the brunt of the hurricane which hit east of N O. Apparently because she lacked redundant communications she didn't know where all the rescue efforts were needed and what was needed, and no one knew how many had not evaccuated. When asked 3 days later she could not remember officially asking FEMA for help until after the news networks assessed the situation.

In the mean time the Marines and Coast Guard had amph vehicles, swift in the worst of the flooded areas and the boatmen of the bayou brought their flat bottomed boats in without being asked and began rescuing stranded residents, some of which remained in place as the water rose. They knew the area, wheras outsiders did not, this was given as a reason for perhaps turning away outside assistance, the same for helio so many in the air and no flight control besides sight, limiting rescue fliights to dayitme. Many people assisted where they were. No one expected a hurricane of such furry to make lanf fall on the East coast of FL and gaid strength passing over land to hit on the gulf coast, if the levee;s had not broke or if there had not been such a large storm surge, Cammile was only 22' as opposed to 19' for Katrina, many of the services provided by the infrastructure would have remained intact, once the levee's were breached, their fate was sealed.

I live in an area that flooded every winter, you learn to deal with it and are prepared for it, they were not prepared and the general population was not expecting it. It is no one person's fault. This covered huge geo areas.

I think we need to use it as a wake up call and make some simple peprations for suck desasters. On another thread I posted some of the things that can be planned for emergency survival.

The area was declared a federal desaster area prior to the hurricane landing, But they rely on the state giving specific request for services.

Curt581

racer72 said:
In cases of natural disaster such as this, the first line of help is generally the National Guard.

The fault starts at the top and works it's way down.
I'm going to take a bit of issue with this.

The first line of help is always municipal government, not N.G.

Supposedly, N.O. Mayor Nagin and his appointed head of Emergency Operations, Terry Ebbert, had a plan to evacuate people using buses. Why didn't City officials activate the plan? Why are there parking lots full of flooded buses that were never used? Those could easily have been used to ferry thousands of people out of N.O. at the beginning of the storm, but weren't.

The simple fact is, Nagin and his cronies totally failed in their responsibilities and are now trying to spin this, blaming Bush and FEMA for the late response.

Check out satellite photos and read the article. It's pretty damning:

http://junkyardblog.net/archives/week_2005_08_28.html#004749

BelizeBreeze

HomeGuru said:
Can anyone explain why the Federal government took so long to provide help to the victims?
It's run by Bush and his idiot republican cronies who can't find their asses with anyone's hands.

BelizeBreeze

And even more telling about this (lack of) administration is the list of 56 foreign countries offering aid.

Our intrepet (non) leader is 'mulling the offers over'. :rolleyes:

I am getting damned sick and tired of you people bad mouthing President Bush. I, and all of my friends, voted for him and believe that he will go down in history as our greatest president ever.

Are you people just STUPID? Don't you realize that president Bush was ON VACATION? How many of you have ever cut a vacation short for a natural disaster? Of course there were no National Guard troops, they are all over in Iraq DEFENDING OUR FREEDOM, folks!!!

BelizeBreeze

Wayne POTZ said:
I am getting damned sick and tired of you people bad mouthing President Bush. I, and all of my friends, voted for him and believe that he will go down in history as our greatest president ever.
He will go down alright. On anyone and anything. I guess you don't know your 'puff' daddy very well
Are you people just STUPID?
Of course not. We're not the ones making excuses for an imbecile.
Don't you realize that president Bush was ON VACATION?
And when ISN'T he on vacation?
How many of you have ever cut a vacation short for a natural disaster? Of course there were no National Guard troops, they are all over in Iraq DEFENDING OUR FREEDOM, folks!!!
Well let's think about this. First, how man people on this forum are the leaders of the free world? O.K. that argument is nullified.

Now, how many of the people on this forum have the capacity to send thousands of troops and aid into outlying areas DAYS before the hurricane hit when he was warned by members of his own staff of the need to do just that?
O.K. that argument is nullified.

Defending our freedom? That joke has played 18 months longer than it should have. The dying in Iraq has nothing to do without freedom. It has to do with a jackass who got caught with his pants down because he tried to play at being a soldier and did NOT listen to his own generals.

I guess you think whenever we invade another country it's 'defending our freedom' ... well you keep thinking that until the last body bag returns from Bush's next mistake in judgement ....

tigger22472

BelizeBreeze said:
And when ISN'T he on vacation?

Do you have those statistics? I don't remember where I saw the article at but I saw one not long ago talking about JUST how much vacation he's taken. Must be nice!

BelizeBreeze

tigger22472 said:
Do you have those statistics? I don't remember where I saw the article at but I saw one not long ago talking about JUST how much vacation he's taken. Must be nice!
I try not to think of this idiot, I much prefer reading about a real leader...and hopefully he'll run this next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">