• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

husband died..do I owe ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wickfield

What is the name of your state?Michigan
My husband died last week. He had a number of credit cards in only his name. We do have a will, so I do not have to go through Probate Court.
Am I still liable for his credit card balances ?

Debt Guy

You are not responsible for his balances. Simply send each creditor a letter and a copy of the death certificate.

However, your husband's estate is responsible for his bills. Just because there was no will does always mean there is no probate. I would check this with an attorney.

Was there any real estate or vehicles in your husband's name?

wickfield

A small correction, there is a will. I am the surviving spouse and he left everything to me. The mortgage is in his name and our 1998 Oldsmobile. We live in Michigan. Thank you for your reply.

wickfield

Thank you. I have contacted a lawyer. He dealt primarily with credit cards...looks as if I now have to speak with different attorney he referred me to that specializes in "Probate Law". Wish me luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">