• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband gave our Jaguar away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Can someone please explain this to me as it is next to impossible to reach the State's Attorney's Office. I'm attaching a synopsis and my question is how can he keep requesting a new court date? I know USCIS has contacted and requested a 2 year interview on his green card status. Maybe he's trying to put off adjudication on this matter so he doesn't get the kibosh if found guilty before having to attend his USCIS interview (2 year GC to 10). IDK

I have a trip planned for two weeks in February. I've asked the SAO to keep the dates I'll be gone in mind if it came to rescheduling. They made a note, but no promises. I just don't understand how someone can go back to court 2 times in 2 months for a disposition hearing and get a new court date each time.
WT, please remove your STBX's name and all other identifying info from your post.

Last edited:

wt817

Hello again, I filed for divorce a few days ago. I now see the status says "Summons Issued And Returned To SHERIFF/Husband's name". What does that mean? Thank you all so much!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello again, I filed for divorce a few days ago. I now see the status says "Summons Issued And Returned To SHERIFF/Husband's name". What does that mean? Thank you all so much!!
You should ask the entity that was tasked with serving the papers.

zddoodah

I now see the status says "Summons Issued And Returned To SHERIFF/Husband's name". What does that mean?
Where is it that you are "see[ing] [this] status"?

Are you represented by an attorney? If so, what did your attorney tell you when you caled/emailed him/her and posed this question?

wt817

Where is it that you are "see[ing] [this] status"?

Are you represented by an attorney? If so, what did your attorney tell you when you caled/emailed him/her and posed this question?

I am seeing it on the county's court website. No lawyer. If I had one, that is definitely where I'd have directed the question.

wt817

I received my STBX's answer to the divorce petition. It is basically a series of "admit, deny and no answer required". My question is what do I do next? How does this case get filed to now move on the different steps of mediation and trial? Do I need to answer his answer of file something? Thank you in advance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I received my STBX's answer to the divorce petition. It is basically a series of "admit, deny and no answer required". My question is what do I do next? How does this case get filed to now move on the different steps of mediation and trial? Do I need to answer his answer of file something? Thank you in advance.
We can't hold your hand through this. You really really need an attorney.

wt817

In January you had an attorney...
Yes, I did previously have an attorney. She was the appointed to me through the state to handle my representation in his DV arrest. I love your thinking that I should hire an attorney. I really wish I could. Unfortunately being on SSDI- there's nowhere near enough in savings to hire a new one. I'd never ask anyone to "hold my hand" through this. Just thought I could get some help with a question. I'm not a serial poster/advice seeker. Either way, thank you.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yes, I did previously have an attorney. She was the appointed to me through the state to handle my representation in his DV arrest. I love your thinking that I should hire an attorney. I really wish I could. Unfortunately being on SSDI- there's nowhere near enough in savings to hire a new one. I'd never ask anyone to "hold my hand" through this. Just thought I could get some help with a question. I'm not a serial poster/advice seeker. Either way, thank you.
thing is... you're asking the volunteers to come very close to stepping over the "practicing law without a license" line...

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You don't have to file a response to his answer unless his answer raises a counterclaim against you. As for the next steps, you'd need to study the Florida Rules of Civil Procedure. Very generally I would expect the next stage to be the exchange of discovery. So you'd want to start working on your discovery requests. Also, now that the answer has been filed that will open the door for the filing of pre-trial motions with the court. It would be best to get some help from an attorney for this if you can. Perhaps legal aid or some other organization might be able to provide you some help for this.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If there are any law schools in your area, they often hold "legal clinics" where, for no or a very low cost, 3rd year law students will review your situation under supervision of the law school faculty. They get experience and you get legal assistance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">