• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband gives up my step children for adoption, during divorce, without my knowledge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Utah

I have three step children that I raise for six years, after their biological mother died, they were ages 6 months, 2 years, and 3 years old, when I got them. In 2015 he filed for a divorce and took the children with him and me and their half-siblings haven't been allowed to see or speak to them since. I was surprisingly contacted by the adoptive parents of two of the children. Who told me my husband had given them up for adoption in 2015 (just 3 months into our divorce proceedings) Can he do that without my knowledge and what can I do about it? The children were devestated to be taken away from me(their mom) then given to strangers. Now that they have been with their new parents for nearly 3 years I don't feel it would be healthy to disrupt their lives again, by trying to get them back, but the children really miss me and their six half-brothers and sisters. They really want to see us, spend time with us and be a part of our lives.
Can I get the adoption overturned or amended so I can have legal visitation rights? I raised the issue of these three children and being the only mother that they have known or remembered, in my initial divorce pleadings. The divorce is still pending. I really want visitation. I don't want to disrupt their lives again. Can I contest or ammend the adoption since I was never notified or gave consent? Anyone have any advice?
As you have already been told, you really have no standing to challenge the adoption or anything else about the children. However, I admit that I find it horribly sad that your soon to be ex husband would put the children up for adoption rather than let them live with the person that they recognized as their mother.

All that you can really do is appeal to the adoptive parents to allow your children to have a relationship with their siblings. That can work if you are utterly and completely respectful and recognize the adoptive parent's rights and are utterly supportive of THEIR relationship with the children.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Mine hasn't worked in aeons! Must be the new site, equipped with bright spanking new k-dar! :D

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
All that you can really do is appeal to the adoptive parents to allow your children to have a relationship with their siblings. That can work if you are utterly and completely respectful and recognize the adoptive parent's rights and are utterly supportive of THEIR relationship with the children.
I suspect that the six children aren't actually siblings...at least not all of them.

Just Blue

Mine hasn't worked in aeons! Must be the new site, equipped with bright spanking new k-dar! I:D

I "think" Kelly and her crew realized that some major redecorating was happening and decided to come over play 'cause Mom and Day would be distracted. .

Just Blue

You are probably right. The whole 6 kids when they were only married 6 years kind of went over my head the first time around.
Me as well. Though it is not unheard of for someone to pop out a new baby every year...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">