• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband labled a monster.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

elaecla

Oregon
My husband was released from prision 3 years ago and upon his parol, he was posted on a state wide (Oregon) and county wide (Klamath County) websites and bulitens as being a Predatory Sex Offender. Puting him on a list with the worst and most dangerouse offenders. If you saw the sites you would see there are only a small handfull of names on those bullitens. And my husband kept asking why he was on there. Yes he commited a sex crime, yes what he did was wrong, but his crime did not even involve rape, just inapropriate touching. We kept asking why he was listed with serial rapists and violent offenders. No explanation was ever given for why he was listed with the worst of the worst. Three years he endured embarassment and ridicule, and being labled a monster. He was just infomed a few days ago, by his parole officer, that it was a mistake. He never was supposed to be on those sites and lists nd his name would be removed immeadiatly. He parole officer just said"sorry, my mistake" . OMG, what my poor husband has endured the last three years for a mistake! What do we do? I am so mad, and i feel so bad for him. And the most he gets for having his life ruined is a "gee, sorry". Is this something a lawsuit can be filed for?

wyett717

I believe a lawsuit involving slander or defamation has to involve accusations that are untrue. These accusations are not false, your husband did in fact commit the crime. It doesn't matter the severity, a sex offender is a sex offender no matter how you look at it.

OMG, what my poor husband has endured the last three years for a mistake! What do we do? I am so mad, and i feel so bad for him.
Your "poor" husband chose to violate another person in a horrible way. I don't share your sympathies.

And the most he gets for having his life ruined is a "gee, sorry".
And what did his victim get for having her life ruined? I bet she didn't even get an "I'm sorry."

quincy

There is not much you or your husband can do about this legally, I'm afraid.

If your husband had NOT committed and been convicted of a sex offense in the past, then he could take legal action over his appearance on the sex offenders list, but being listed as a sex offender when you are a sex offender is not defamation. It is true - even when the degree of sex offense does not normally warrant appearance on the statewide and countywide websites or bulletins.

In many states, sex offender websites include the "Romeo and Juliet" sex offenses (sex between underage but consenting teenagers) and the "inappropriate touching" offenses. The websites are problematic, for sure, and they too often include offenders who are no real danger to the public.

Hopefully your husband's parole officer will get your husband's information removed from the site promptly.

Last edited:

elaecla

I believe a lawsuit involving slander or defamation has to involve accusations that are untrue. These accusations are not false, your husband did in fact commit the crime. It doesn't matter the severity, a sex offender is a sex offender no matter how you look at it.

Your "poor" husband chose to violate another person in a horrible way. I don't share your sympathies.

And what did his victim get for having her life ruined? I bet she didn't even get an "I'm sorry."
Because you seem to know so much about the case and the situation, I just wanted to ad that I am pretty sure that when the female in question was his girlfriend who was consenting, but just happend to be a minor, he did not ruin her life. He made a dumb choice, young guys do that sometimes when they think with the "wrong head". So try not to judge a person when you have not walked in their shoes.

mommyof4

I just wanted to ad that I am pretty sure that when the female in question was his girlfriend who was consenting, but just happend to be a minor
How was he convicted of a sex crime if the minor was at or above the age of consent?

So, the statement should read that :

just wanted to ad that I am pretty sure that when the female in question was his girlfriend , but just happend to be a minor below the age of consent
Look, I get your anger and embarassment. The fact remains that your husband did, indeed, commit the crime. There is no legal recourse against against a statement that, in the end, is true.

ariastar

just inapropriate touching

Just? JUST?!

OMG, what my poor husband has endured the last three years for a mistake! What do we do? I am so mad, and i feel so bad for him. And the most he gets for having his life ruined is a "gee, sorry".

OMG, the poor man who permanently scarred another individual by inappropriately touching that person! You do know this either means he touched a kid or forcefully touched an adult? He knew before doing this that it was wrong.

You want to know what your life being ruined by one of those lists is? A friend of mine was convicted of rape, the victim spent a few years trying to get it overturned because the conviction was on the wrong person (his co-defendant was the guilty one - the victim had never seen him before), and the conviction was ultimately overturned. Yet he spent the next 15 years on Megan's List online labeled as a rapist. With no convictions against him.

BUT YOUR HUSBAND ACTUALLY SEXUALLY VIOLATED SOMEONE.

I don't feel the slightest bit bad for your husband. I feel bad for his victim. The victim will have to deal with this forever. Your husband should not get off so easily. You are a sick person for thinking he should.

quincy

Ariastar, you may want to read the posts before commenting.

Your friend's situation has absolutely nothing to do with elaecla's situation, which involved the inappropriate touching by a boyfriend of his girlfriend.

This is not a rape situation. If it were a rape, or child molestation, the naming of this man on the sex offender's registry would be legitimate and right.

Your comments demonstrate what too many people think when they see a name on the Sex Offender Registry, and this is one of the reasons why the list is a problem. People automatically think that those appearing on the list are child molesters or rapists and, therefore, a danger to society. And the list is certainly valuable and necessary for that reason.

However, some state laws make a sex offender out of a youthful offender who makes it to second base with his young girlfriend. Corrections have been made in the laws in many states, to keep teenage "Romeo and Juliets" free from sex offender labels and required registry with the state, should they have a consensual sexual relationship. Unfortunately, not all states have made these necessary changes.

Last edited:

ErinGoBragh

I'm going to go ahead and ASSume hubby was a grown man when this crime was committed, and that he must've have done something pretty bad to rack up 3 (!) years in a prison. That's not exactly a slap on the wrist.

Bottom line is that OP's Hubby has no recourse provided for him under the law as he was found guilty, and served the time. He needs to be accountable for his own actions, because let's face it, he essentially placed himself on that list when he committed a crime.

cyjeff

And, for the record, an adult that inappropriately touches a child IS a child molester.

The degree will vary.

OOPS.. my bad.

The OP never stated the sentence the person received.

mommyof4

I'm going to go ahead and ASSume hubby was a grown man when this crime was committed, and that he must've have done something pretty bad to rack up 3 (!) years in a prison. That's not exactly a slap on the wrist.

Bottom line is that OP's Hubby has no recourse provided for him under the law as he was found guilty, and served the time. He needs to be accountable for his own actions, because let's face it, he essentially placed himself on that list when he committed a crime.
Just a point of clarification.

The OP doesn't state that her husband served 3 years in prison. The OP states that her husband was released from prison 3 years ago. We don't actually know how long he was to register for the SO list. It could have been not at all or it could be for life, just in a different classification.

Either way, he was convicted and no matter what the degree, he is a sexual offender.

wyett717

So try not to judge a person when you have not walked in their shoes.
I have every right to judge a person who violates another human being as he did - girlfriend or not!

And believe me, I will NEVER be walking in his shoes.

quincy

Wow. I wonder how many of your parents would be on sex offender registry lists right now for having had sex in the back of their VW buses when they were young??

In Oregon last year, two 13-year-old boys were arrested and charged with felony sexual abuse because they slapped a classmate's butt.* The girl said it was no big deal - however the parents went ahead and sued. The kids faced TEN YEARS in juvenile jail, had they been convicted. Two other teens faced 75 months in prison in Oregon for inappropriate CONSENSUAL touching (75 months being the mandatory minimum).

In a quick review of sex offender registries around the country (I won't list them all :)), almost all are prefaced with some form of "Information on this site may be in error."

Illinois prefaces their site with "Information may not be accurate" and goes on to say that there is no determination that individuals included on the list are dangerous, the purpose of the list is not to "warn" against individuals appearing on the list, and that anyone who commits a crime against someone appearing on the list is subject to criminal prosecution.

Illinois continues with their preface, saying: "There is no representation, express or implied, that the information contained on the Registry is accurate. The information contained on this site does not imply the listed individuals will commit the same type of crime in the future."

In Alaska, almost ALL sex offenders must register. There's is an "offense-based" registry, so whatever the offense, the offender will appear on the list. Interesting reading for those so inclined are Doe v State, 2004; and Doe v Otte, 259F 3d 979, 988; 9th Circuit, 2001; and Smith v Doe, 538 US 84, 2003.

Several studies have shown that sex offender registries have made no discernible difference in recidivism rates (Tewksbury & Lees, a 2007 study, is one). The lists have, however, been shown to create unemployment, instability, humiliation, social isolation, loss of housing, harassment, threats, physical attacks, arson, and death.

Alaska is unlike Connecticut which has an "offender-based" registry - Connecticut eliminates from forced registry those who pose no risk to the public (ie. teenagers in love).

cyjeff

Wow. I wonder how many of your parents would be on sex offender registry lists right now for having had sex in the back of their VW buses when they were young??
And that is pertinent how?

100 years ago, there wasn't ANY DUI laws either. Doesn't mean the present ones are stupid.

In Oregon last year, two 13-year-old boys were arrested and charged with felony sexual abuse because they slapped a classmate's butt.* The girl said it was no big deal - however the parents went ahead and sued. The kids faced TEN YEARS in juvenile jail, had they been convicted. Two other teens faced 75 months in prison in Oregon for inappropriate CONSENSUAL touching (75 months being the mandatory minimum).
We don't make the laws, we just describe them.

As I have said often, if you don't like the laws, write your legislative representation.

In a quick review of sex offender registries around the country (I won't list them all :)), almost all are prefaced with some form of "Information on this site may be in error."

Illinois prefaces their site with "Information may not be accurate" and goes on to say that there is no determination that individuals included on the list are dangerous, the purpose of the list is not to "warn" against individuals appearing on the list, and that anyone who commits a crime against someone appearing on the list is subject to criminal prosecution.

Illinois continues with their preface, saying: "There is no representation, express or implied, that the information contained on the Registry is accurate. The information contained on this site does not imply the listed individuals will commit the same type of crime in the future."
So you are saying that government entities make clerical mistakes.

Really?

In Alaska, almost ALL sex offenders must register. There's is an "offense-based" registry, so whatever the offense, the offender will appear on the list. Interesting reading for those so inclined are Doe v State, 2004; and Doe v Otte, 259F 3d 979, 988; 9th Circuit, 2001; and Smith v Doe, 538 US 84, 2003.
Good for Alaska. Not pertinent here.

Several studies have shown that sex offender registries have made no discernible difference in recidivism rates (Tewksbury & Lees, a 2007 study, is one). The lists have, however, been shown to create unemployment, instability, humiliation, social isolation, loss of housing, harassment, threats, physical attacks, arson, and death.
So, you mean that sexual offenders are punished for their crimes?

More or less than the children that are violated?

The unemployment is caused by the offender not working in positions with or around children. The lack of housing is an effort to keep the offenders away from where children congregate (schools, etc).

As for the humilation, social isolation and instability, have you ever worked with a victim's group? You don't know JACK about what you are talking about.

Alaska is unlike Connecticut which has an "offender-based" registry - Connecticut eliminates from forced registry those who pose no risk to the public (ie. teenagers in love).
Good for Connecticut. Also not germane to this situation.

Cuckoo Clock

I am in complete agreement with quincy.

It's sad how easily a man can be blackballed for things that a woman could easily get away with.

I really frown upon sexism (directed at either gender), and many of these "laws" are certainly biased against men. For instance, I saw a neighbor of mine in the sexual offender's database. His crime? Indecent exposure. Are they SERIOUS? How many women run around exposing their breasts, backsides, etc? Guess what happens to them... they get cast in the next episode of Girls Gone Wild. LOL

As for "inappropriate touching", well, that could be any number of things... including a misinterpreted pat on the back ("OMG! he was trying to unhook my bra!!11!").

I'm really ashamed to be female, sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">