• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband was rear ended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Snowey

What is the name of your state? Louisiana
Hi,Happy New Year to everyone!!

My husband was rear ended last week when he stopped for a car in front of him making a turn.
We have a van with a good bumper,so it didn't do that much damage just smashed it in and bent the ladder .the driver had a car that went under the bumper.
My husband was complaining about his neck and back,so he went to the ER.The Xrays showed everything was ok,they gave him a shot for pain and told him not to go to work.
Now his lower back is really bothering him and we do not know if he should go to a Chiropractor.
We called the ins. co., we haven't gotten an estimate on the van yet, but he asked them about the medical and pain and suffering.
They said they would give him $400.00.
Does this sound right or should he get a lawyer?
Even though he is not hurt real bad ,I am concerned because his work requires him to be on his feet all day .I do not want his back to get any worse.
What should we do?
Thanks for any advice!!:)

P.S.we used our med.ins. for the ER,How does that work with the other drivers ins.Thanks

HomeGuru

Snowey said:
What is the name of your state? Louisiana
Hi,Happy New Year to everyone!!

My husband was rear ended last week when he stopped for a car in front of him making a turn.
We have a van with a good bumper,so it didn't do that much damage just smashed it in and bent the ladder .the driver had a car that went under the bumper.
My husband was complaining about his neck and back,so he went to the ER.The Xrays showed everything was ok,they gave him a shot for pain and told him not to go to work.
Now his lower back is really bothering him and we do not know if he should go to a Chiropractor.
We called the ins. co., we haven't gotten an estimate on the van yet, but he asked them about the medical and pain and suffering.
They said they would give him $400.00.
Does this sound right or should he get a lawyer?
Even though he is not hurt real bad ,I am concerned because his work requires him to be on his feet all day .I do not want his back to get any worse.
What should we do?
Thanks for any advice!!:)

P.S.we used our med.ins. for the ER,How does that work with the other drivers ins.Thanks
**A: consult with a PI attorney. Do not talk to the other insurance company.

JETX

"My husband was rear ended last week"
*** Lets hope that he was in a car!!!

Actually, you CAN talk with the other company, just be very careful on what admissions you might make on recordings and do NOT sign anything that even hints of a release.
When you finally do get a valid (there $400 isn't) settlement offer, if you feel it is not sufficient, THEN you can talk with a personal injury attorney.

Snowey

Hi
Thanks for your advice.My husband decided to just go to the chiropractor and submit it to the insurance ,to see what the insurance would come up with.
But after today I think he is just going to talk to a lawyer.
His back is hurting worse now and it was not like this before the accident.
Get this! The father of the girl who rear ended my husband came to his work(restaurant)today.He asked my husband how he was feeling.My husband told him his back hurts and the fathers comment was, you probably had a pre existing condition.Can you believe that! :mad: so I think that is what changed my husbands mind about getting a lawyer.
I guess the idiot guy thinks that if my husband was at work that he is not hurt.But who would pay the bills if he didn't go to work!

C

CarAccidentForu

All too common and typical. People like your husband and myself get screwed all the time for trying to be nice. Here's the answer, you can be nice, but firm and get properly compensated. First file a police report, no matter if a cop showed up on the scene or not. Second, regarding your bumper, demand that it will be replaced, those bumpers are designed for single impact, they are made from material inside that looks like an accordian and is designed to break upon impact to absorb the shock... it looks pretty on the outside, but the inside has done its job, and is no longer SAFE! Next has your husband lost any days of work. Keep track. Getting compensated for lost pay at work is EASY, figure out how much he makes an hour and times that by how many hours he worked. When you settle with the insurance company tell them I lost 10 hours off of work, I make $25 an hour so I seek $250 of reinbursement, they won't even flinch. As far as medical bills you can ask for 2 up to 5 times the amount what ever you deem reasonable. When your car is in the shop getting fixed ask your insurance company to pay for the rental (rent the equivelent of what you drive, if you drive a SUV rent a SUV, don't let them put you in an economy) if your insurance company does not cover rent a car, call the other drivers insurance company and ask that they pay for the rental. I have Allstate, and they were treating me like a criminal, so I called Mercury the other persons insurance and they were willing to pay for the rental and a new baby car seat in my case. It's all about negotiation, and time, time is on your side, your insurance claims representative wants to settle this quickly, don't fall for that. If they offered $400 hmmm why so fast, why $400 why not wait for the medical bills to come in and then you have some concrete dollar amounts. I am not encouraging you to scam the insurance company, I just don't want you to be taken advange of, I am not a lawyer. I would try to settle this on your own. Attorneys take 1/3 of your settlement, up to 40% if you have to go to court.

Hope this helps,
Greg

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">