• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband/Wife Visa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hanka

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NJ

Hello There!

I would like to ask one question. In March 2004 my student visa was denied and I had to stay back in Czech Republic after a year and half of relationship with my husband.In October 2004 I got married to him (he is also from Czech Republic) and has Green Card (for 8 years already). In May 2004 he applied for American citizenship because we want to be together in the US again. He went to fingerprinting in July and now, he was invited get his citizenship in March 2005.
My questions are:
1. What do we have to do after him getting his citizenship to be together again as soon as possible?

2. Are there any restrictions when he can apply for visa for me?

3. Can he travel abroad of the US after he gets his citizenship?

4. Is there any chance that I don't get the visa?

I'll appreciate your reply.

Best regards

Hanka

evcalyptos

Hanka said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NJ

Hello There!

I would like to ask one question. In March 2004 my student visa was denied and I had to stay back in Czech Republic after a year and half of relationship with my husband.In October 2004 I got married to him (he is also from Czech Republic) and has Green Card (for 8 years already). In May 2004 he applied for American citizenship because we want to be together in the US again. He went to fingerprinting in July and now, he was invited get his citizenship in March 2005.
My questions are:
1. What do we have to do after him getting his citizenship to be together again as soon as possible?

2. Are there any restrictions when he can apply for visa for me?

3. Can he travel abroad of the US after he gets his citizenship?

4. Is there any chance that I don't get the visa?

I'll appreciate your reply.

Best regards

Hanka
Congratulations on your marriage!
When your husband's citizenship ceremony is completed he will be able to apply for a US passport. When he can travel as a US citizen, he can come to CR and the 2 of you can file at the Consulate for your immigrant visa. Instructions here:
http://prague.usembassy.gov/consular/imvisa.htm
http://prague.usembassy.gov/consular/petition.htm

Prepare your paperwork carefully and provide all required documentation. If there was a problem with your student visa application that has not been solved, yes, it could be a future problem for you. If you were refused because of your (then) boyfriend, that problem has been 'solved' by marriage and applying for the proper visa (immigrant visa).
After you enter the US and have your Green Card for 3 years, you are eligible to file for citizenship also.

Hanka

Dear Evcalyptos!

Thank you thank you thank you so much for your advice that gave me more hope to be soon with my husband again :)
I have couple more questions:
1. How long does it take for my husband to receive an American passport?
2. I heard that my husband can apply for husband/wife visa back in the US. Or does he have to come here to Czech Republic? Is is any faster when we apply for immigrant visa here? Does it make any changes in the process? Do I have better chance to get the visa here in Prague or when my husband applies in New Jersey?

Thank you so much for your assistance.

Hanka

evcalyptos

Hanka said:
Dear Evcalyptos!

Thank you thank you thank you so much for your advice that gave me more hope to be soon with my husband again :)
I have couple more questions:
1. How long does it take for my husband to receive an American passport?
2. I heard that my husband can apply for husband/wife visa back in the US. Or does he have to come here to Czech Republic? Is is any faster when we apply for immigrant visa here? Does it make any changes in the process? Do I have better chance to get the visa here in Prague or when my husband applies in New Jersey?

Thank you so much for your assistance.

Hanka
Hello Hanka,
I don't know how long it takes for him to get a US passport after the ceremony. Maybe you can find this out with a separate question on a board with more people who have naturalized.

Your husband -can- file the petition in the US. If he files with Vermont Center (check this out please), it may be faster than other US Centers, but it is fastest if he comes to Prague (and if they will accept his petition even if he does not live there - he should check).

Your chance to get the visa is the same no matter where he files. You yourself must qualify for the visa.

Good Luck and happy Visa days!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">