• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband's daughter dropped out of school. Does he have to keep paying child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Texas

My husband's daughter is 17. She will be 18 in October. This past April, she dropped out of school in her 11th grade year. My husband's divorce decree states that he will have to pay child support until his daughter is 18 or, if she is enrolled in school, until she graduates. If she is not enrolled in school by the time she is 18, can he cease to pay child support? What does he do to stop the payments from coming out of his paycheck?
What if his daughter decides to go back to school? Since she would have to start over in the 11th grade, does this mean he will have to pay child support for 2 more years? If she would have stayed in school in the first place, he would have finished paying child support at the end of this school year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential