• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

husbands debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?OH
My husband and I were married in 2004, and recently purchased a house, titled in both names. He recently started receiving phone calls from a collection agency trying to collect on a credit card. The card was issued without his signature and was used by his ex-girlfriend. The card has not been used since 2000. He has no job, no bank account, and a car with a value of 300.00.
The collection agency is threatening to take him to court. The balance of the debt is 5000.00. He asked for proof of the debt, but has not received any.
Can a lien be put on our house? What can the collection agency get?

Debt Guy

Senior Member
This is identity theft. He needs to file a police report immediately.

He should send a copy of the police report to the collection agency. The cover letter should clearly indicate the account is a fraud and he is the victim of identity theft. Send the letter certified mail return receipt requested.

Keep copies of everything in case he is actually sued.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential