• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husbands drug charge and custody question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tracy Beth

Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Kentucky
My husband and I recently seperated. He stayed 9 months of a 3 year sentence in jail for trafficing a controlled substance. He is currently out on Parole. He has no job, has had no job since his arrest, and can't get one. What are his chances of getting custody of our 4 year old daughter? And what precautions can I take to keep him from getting custody of her?
Thank you,


First of all, when he was arrested why didn't you go to family court and obtain sole custody? You would have received that in a heart beat.

Now, what makes you think he could get custody? is the jerk threatening you that he will try? Go TOMORROW to your local family court and petition for sole custody. You two will be brought before a judge and you can state your concerns there. Be sure you bring any and all evidence of his drug use or his conviction...ie - news paper clips from his arrest, etc... and prove that you are the better parent... then address child support... he has to pay it. They will force him to work - don't worry about that one.

This is your child, protect them...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential