• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hypothetical question.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpw vuk

I would like someone to answer that hypothetical question.
In a lawful way.

If someone from my family who trusts me gives me $100 so I invest it for the both of us, on a verbal agreement, and I make one million $ from that investment.
Can I legally just give him his $50 and keep $999,950 for myself because there was no written contract?

What would legally be fair in that case?

Please only answer that question.
There is already another thread for my family dispute.

adjusterjack

Depends on what the verbal agreement was and whether there was evidence of the verbal agreement and what the money was invested in and how that investment was owned and the laws addressing that kind of investment.

If you thought you could trick us by asking a hypothetical question that might imply an answer to your family dispute, it's not gonna happen.

quincy

In a lawful way.

If someone from my family who trusts me gives me $100 so I invest it for the both of us, on a verbal agreement, and I make one million $ from that investment.
Can I legally just give him his $50 and keep $999,950 for myself because there was no written contract?

Please only answer that question.
There is already another thread for my family dispute.
We tend not to entertain hypothetical questions on this forum. Sorry.

zddoodah

In a lawful way.
Answer in a lawful way? Huh?

someone from my family who trusts me gives me $100 so I invest it for the both of us
So...this is someone else's money, but you're investing it "for the both of" you? Can you explain?

on a verbal agreement
And what exactly are the terms of this verbal agreement?

and I make one million $ from that investment.
A million dollars out of $100? That's far more than just a hypothetical.

Can you? Probably, but your family member will presumably report the matter to the police and/or sue you, and you'll likely get sent to prison and have a judgment entered against you (one which might not be dischargeable in bankruptcy).

"Legally fair" is not a real thing. "Fair" is subjective. Answer the questions above, and I'll opine about what is and isn't legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">