• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I-485 questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

defulio

What is the name of your state? resident in GA but getting married in FL (where fiance lives, and where I will move soon after the wedding)

Hi. I have just printed off the I-485 form and have a few questions

Question # 1: about part 3, q2,

"Have you ever received public assistance in the US from any source, including the government or any state, county, city or municipality, or are you likely to receive public assistance in the future?"

Last year, when I was a student working my F1 visa maximum of 20hrs a week and paying out-of-state tuition fees, my 12yr old car failed it's emissions test and I was advised by the mechanic to apply for state funds to have the problem fixed. To my great surprise I received around $550 dollars from the Texas government to have a new catalytic converter installed. I was amazed that I was eligible as a foreigner. Two months later I sold the car for $600. Is this something I have to report? Will this reduce my chances of acceptance for change of status? Would any graduate student paying out of state fees and living off Teaching Assistant wages really turn down such an offer of financial assistance? I handed the relevant documents over to the buyer when I sold the car so no longer have a copy of them.

Question # 2:

In the "Information about you" section, am I meant to put down my current address, or an address via which documents sent sometime later this year will get to me? I will be moving from Atlanta in May and my fiance and I will be moving to a new place, as yet unidentified, sometime in August.

Question # 3:

What does "inspected by a US immigration officer" mean? Is it different from having your immigration documents scrutinized upon entry to the country?

Question # 4:

Is my visa number the red number printed on my visa?

Question # 5:

Is my I-94 number the number printed on my i-94 card as my departure number (thus different everytime I enter and leave the US)?

Question # 6:

For "expires on" my I-94 card states F1 D/S. Is this what I write in the relevant box of part 1?

I'm sorry that I have so many questions. Let me know if I have missed an instruction booklet somewhere for this form.

Thanks as always,

Kirsty

NickGreen

I'll have a try..................

Question # 1: about part 3, q2,

"Have you ever received public assistance in the US from any source, including the government or any state, county, city or municipality, or are you likely to receive public assistance in the future?"

IF YOU WANT TO BE TRUTHFUL, YOU WOULD HAVE TO YES. I WOULD ATTATCH A SEPERATE PIECE OF PAPER EXPLAING THE SITUATION.

Question # 2:

In the "Information about you" section, am I meant to put down my current address, or an address via which documents sent sometime later this year will get to me? I will be moving from Atlanta in May and my fiance and I will be moving to a new place, as yet unidentified, sometime in August

YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO PUT THE ADDRESS YOU CURRENTLY RESIDE AT, BUT TO MAKE THINGS EASIER, YOU SHOULD PUT YOUR FIANCE'S ADDRESS. IF YOU WAN'T TO BE REALLY LIGIT, AND YOUR SITUATION ISN'T HURRIED, YOU CAN FILE WHEN YOU ARE LIVING AT THE SAME ADDRESS SO AS TO MAKE IT SIMPLER AND LESS CHANCE FOR A MIX-UP WITH THE ADDRESSES. ALSO THE OFFICE THAT WILL BE PROCESSING YOUR CASE MAY BE DIFFERENT, SO NOT CHANGING ADDRESSES MID-SHIFT WILL BE BETTER. IF YOU MOVE, YOU HAVE TO FILE AN AR-11 AND IF A DISTRICT OFFICE IS PROCESSING YOUR CASE YOU HAVE TO NOTIFY THEM SEPERATELY. YOU CAN FIND THE RELEVENT INFO AT WWW.USCIS.GOV WHEN YOU LOOK-UP THE OFFICE THAT SERVES YOUR AREA.

Question # 3:

What does "inspected by a US immigration officer" mean? Is it different from having your immigration documents scrutinized upon entry to the country?

WHEN YOU ENTER THE COUNTRY AND AN OFFICER TALKS TO YOU AND ASKS YOU QUESTIONS AND STAMPS YOUR PASSPORT, ETC. THAT IS "INSPECTION". SO NO, THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE.

Question # 4:

Is my visa number the red number printed on my visa?

YES. IT'S ON THE LOWER RIGHT PORTION OF THE VISA.

Question # 5:

Is my I-94 number the number printed on my i-94 card as my departure number (thus different everytime I enter and leave the US)?

YES. THAT'S THE NUMBER, GIVE THE LAST I-94 NUMBER YOU RECEIVED ON YOUR LAST ARRIVAL TO THE US. YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE ANY OTHERS IN YOUR POSSESION FROM PREVIOUS TRIPS TO THE US ANWAYS.

Question # 6:

For "expires on" my I-94 card states F1 D/S. Is this what I write in the relevant box of part 1?

YES. BECAUSE THERE IS NO DATE THAT IS FINE, THIS IS BECAUSE IMMIGRATION DOESN'T KNOW HOW LONG YOU PLAN TO BE A STUDENT IN F1 CATEGORY. THEY WILL WANT A COPY OF YOUR I-94 ANWAYS SO DON'T WORRY.

HOPE THAT HELPS.

NICK

Last edited:

defulio

Thanks Nick, this is helpful. Do you mind me asking, are you a lawyer or just a knowledgeable member? Again, I really appreciate your advice.

Kirsty

NickGreen

Sure......

You're welcome, and no I'm not an attorney, I am also an immigrant and because I wanted to take care of all the paperwork myself, I researched a lot. I know what it feels like to be in a new country and I enjoy helping people on this forum.

Take care,

Nick

Last edited:

koskuba

public assistance

I disagree---- DONT think a part for car meets the definition or intent of PUBLIC ASSISTANCE... Wefare, food stamps, WIC, etc.. The piece for car was probably some grant monies relating to energy or fuel efficiency. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">