• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i-601 help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jasonanddenise

What is the name of your state?California
My wife and are are wanting to immigrate from Australia to the US.
My wife is the US citizen and we have been married for 7 years and living in Australia for the past 6.5 years.
We met and married in the US however I overstayed my tourist visa by 18 months .
We went for our visa interview the other day in Sydney and they approved the I-130 and everything else but said because I overstayed my visa I have to apply for a I-601 waiver.
Could someone give me some advice as to how successful these applications are. We have done everything so far without a lawyer, now that we have hit this stumbling block should we enlist the help of one to get this through successfully?
We have a rough draft of a letter explaining our reasons for wanting to immigrate and what type of hardship.
Can anyone tell me what level of hardship is the criteria ?
What are our avenues if this application is rejected as well?
Thanks in advance
J

evcalyptos

jasonanddenise said:
What is the name of your state?California
My wife and are are wanting to immigrate from Australia to the US.
My wife is the US citizen and we have been married for 7 years and living in Australia for the past 6.5 years.
We met and married in the US however I overstayed my tourist visa by 18 months .
We went for our visa interview the other day in Sydney and they approved the I-130 and everything else but said because I overstayed my visa I have to apply for a I-601 waiver.
Could someone give me some advice as to how successful these applications are. We have done everything so far without a lawyer, now that we have hit this stumbling block should we enlist the help of one to get this through successfully?
We have a rough draft of a letter explaining our reasons for wanting to immigrate and what type of hardship.
Can anyone tell me what level of hardship is the criteria ?
What are our avenues if this application is rejected as well?
Thanks in advance
J
Run, don't walk, to this forum: http://www.immigrate2us.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=26

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">