• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I-751; Field Office Appointment; Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

William1974

Greetings,

I write to clear up a rather Kafka-esque problem with what should be a simple matter of arranging an appointment with our local field office (Minneapolis, MN).

Background: My wife has had an I-751 petition pending since July 25, 2017. Her receipt for that filing extended her green card status for one year, until September 27, 2018.

We are advised that her case review will take not less than 21 months from the receipt date.

We were told that within (as I recall) sixty days before September 27, 2018, we should seek an appointment with our local field office to request a further extension of her green card status while her I-751 remains pending for review and disposition.

Two weeks ago, I began exploring the field office appointment process on the USCIS web site, to ensure we would not have a problem later if and when we might need to obtain the appointment.

I noticed two things.

1. One can only arrange an appointment within a fourteen-day time frame.

2. I have checked the USCIS web page for available dates to set a field office appointment in Minneapolis on multiple, different days. Each and every time, the following message is returned: "Currently there are no available appointments. Please check again tomorrow."

Truly, you have got to be kidding.

My questions are as follows:

(a) Is there some other way to set up a field office appointment? Today, a rather nasty and dismissive USCIS representative told me that there is not.

(b) Is there some way to submit a written request for a further green card extension pending the I-751 review, without the field office appointment? At the very least, I want a written record that we made the request before September 27, 2018.

(c) Is there some other way to deal with this that is not evident to me?

I understand that my questions are premature -- I get that. I want a firm handle on this because if the above problem exists today, I doubt that it will no longer be a problem six months hence.

Short of a solid way to deal with this, my next contact will be with the office of our U.S. Senator for assistance.

What good is an opportunity to be heard if one cannot arrange a date and time to be heard?

Thanks for your kind attention.

William

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">