• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am 16, and want to switch gaurdianship...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

whocar1570

What is the name of your state? - New Jersey

My mom told me that i'd be much happier living elsewhere. This is true, as this area's entire mentality is money oriented, and i can't stand the whole quiet, small town atmosphere. She is willing to give full consent for my uncle to adopt me (he's in PA) and for him to be my gaurdian. The same goes for him. Can this be done? Again, im 16, and this is NJ/PA. For some extra details, he is stable (about to start a 9 to 5 job), is 23 years of age, and is moving in to his own apartment on november first. He is fully mentally stable. Thank you all for your time.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Where's your Dad? 'Cause he'd have to be notified and would probably be first in line to take custody if he wanted it.

I don't know that a judge would approve of a 23 yo adopting a 16 yo in any event - and that's the person who would have final say.

W

whocar1570

My stepfather is here, with us. My biological father ive only met once, he doesn't care about me, never did, etc etc.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If your stepfather adopted you, he'd have to agree to the adoption. If not - whether your bioDad has been involved or not - if he hasn't had his rights terminated he WILL have to be informed and either he WILL have to agree or your mother will have to present a compelling case to the judge. Not knowing why she thinks this would be good (tho I can hazard a few educated guesses), I don't know how successful she would be.

Honestly? At 16 you may be best served to just suck it up, do your best in school. and stay focused on graduation. I know that's not what you want to hear, and 2 years seems like a lifetime. But you're looking at probably close to a year to even get to court, and then you're amost done there anyway.

Good luck.

W

whocar1570

Stepfather has NOT adopted me. I specifically requested that, as that can cause messes in many regards. I understand about my bio. father. From what i have read, with the parent CONSENTING, guardianship changes can happen in under a month. I really can't bear 2 more years, not here at the very least.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
That assumes that both your parents consent. That the person petitioning for adoption can get a court date that quckly (don't count on it in our fair state). That the lawyers or judge involved don't have something come up that leads to a continuance. That one of the parents doesn't ask for a continuance. I'd guess you'll be lucky to see this in court before the summer. Not trying to be difficult - but realistic.

kat1963

Sounds like you might want to research the requirments for emancipation instead of adoption.

KAT

W

whocar1570

Kat, emancipation requires that a child is being abused at home. Luckily, i am NOT. It also requires the child to have a job which can provide food+clothes+other materials...guardianship seems BEST right now....apparently, if noone contests it, and the guardian choice is close family, things go quite smoothly and quickly.

W

whocar1570

That board is baron. Empty. Slow. I don't think ill be getting an OUNCE of info from it....

H

h0rsepwr

momma_tiger said:
Then your next best bet is to find a lawyer who'll give you a free consultation.
This seems very strange to me...I can't see a mother just telling you that you would be much happier living somewhere else and just letting you go live with ur uncle who is only 23. It seems that there is something else going on here?????????????

T

tdbird

your 23 year old uncle is going to send you to school, buy your food, clothing and medical expense for the rest of your life and be call dad by you?? He is ready and prepared to give you your wants and needs?
moveing to another state does not change you, you have to go to school and get an education so that you can have a good living and better your self.
Now what is the real reason you are wanting to leave your mom and home

W

whocar1570

h0rse, it IS more complicated, but really dont feel like going in to each and every detail here. tbird, moving does change your SURROUNDINGS, which is what im looking for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">